Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:20:06 GMT by jp549
Hi there Regarding claiming the flat rate tax relief (£6/week) for COVID working from home allowance via Self Assessment: Should the figure entered under 'Other expenses and capital allowances' for the year be the total amount I'm claiming tax relief *on* i.e. £6x52 = £312? Or should it be the amount of tax relief that would actually *receive* i.e. 40% of this figure? Many thanks
Posted Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:30:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

That is the correct box and it should be £312. The calculation will work out the actual relief amount.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 24 Jan 2022 18:38:13 GMT by Gerhard Kristandl
I would like to know this, too. Do I put £312 in this box or just the 40% of it (£124.8)? How does HMRC know that this amount if for WFH?
Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:20:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Gerhard Kristandl,

You would enter the £312, the calculation will work out the relief.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:33:30 GMT by py9mrg
Hello, I am having problems with this too. I actually already completed and paid my self-assessment for 2020-2021 (I can see the payment in my tax account) but want to make an amendment to claim WFH tax relief. I initiate an amendment and through the process as described here but, when I get to the calculation page, it says: " Total amount due for 2020-21 £XXX Plus First payment on account for 2021-22 £0.00 Total to be added to Self Assessment account due by 31 January 2022 HM Revenue and Customs will add this amount to your Self Assessment statement of account. It doesn't include any 2020 to 2021 payments on account you may have made or any other amounts outstanding. To help you to decide how much, if anything, to pay by the due date, check your Self Assessment account and use the information above until it transfers over. Please note: Please carefully check the figures and the amounts due, which are calculated using the amounts you have entered. HM Revenue and Customs will allocate your payments against any Class 2 National Insurance first unless you have outstanding debts. Help about: Tax Calculation Summary £XXX Second payment on account for 2021-22 will be due by 31 July 2022 £0.00" XXX is a lower number than my original payment, but it reads as though this is being added as an additional payment I need to make and that I haven't paid anything to date. Although the last line says I have nothing to pay, it's pretty confusing. Can you please clarify?
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:40:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If the amount after the amendment is lower, this replaces the original amount that was due.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:46:59 GMT by happychappy2b
I'm self employed - I work as a tutor. During Covid restrictions I was unable to work with clients in their homes but we managed to work 'online' with me working from home of course. This seems to fit the bill for the £6 allowance available but for the life of me I can't find the route on the Self Assessment form and the advice I find all seems to relate to those 'employed' but who have had to work at home. Can someone advise how I should claim this please ? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:10:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can find guidance for self employed working from home here:

BIM47820 - Specific deductions: use of home: specific expenses

Or if you are using the simplified method here:

BIM75010 - Simplified expenses: use of home for business purposes

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:28:11 GMT by happychappy2b
Thanks for the reply: >>"Posted 11 minutes ago by HMRC Admin 2 Hi, You can find guidance for self employed working from home here: BIM47820 - Specific deductions: use of home: specific expenses Or if you are using the simplified method here: BIM75010 - Simplified expenses: use of home for business purposes "<< I have now read both sections but neither answer the question of how to address the Covid-19 Working from Home question. The first section relates to 'specific expenses' and Covid-19 isnt listed. The second section relates to using the simplified expenses which only uses a simplified rate which would apply normally, I see no mention of Covid-19 WFH allowance or how to include it. I still need some help please navigating the SA form to identify the boxes to be selected/filled to claim the Covid-19 WFH allowance if one is self employed (and yes I am using the simplifed expense method of calculation) thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:49:38 GMT by py9mrg
>If the amount after the amendment is lower, this replaces the original amount that was due. Thank you. I submitted my amendment and got the confirmation email saying it will be reviewed within 72 hours. What happens after that? Do I need to apply for a refund afterwards? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:07:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi happychappy2b,

The working from home of £6 per week refers to employees.
You need to use the references here to work out your own working from home allowance.
This is because prior to COVID, employees would normally not have been working from home. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:29:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi py9mrg,

If you entered repayment details on the return then it should go automatically, however you should check the online statement after 72 hours.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Jan 2022 17:53:13 GMT by Monika
I have a question about WFH tax relief for 2019/20 tax year. We were ordered to work from home on 23 March 2020 (first lockdown), so still within 2019/20 tax year. Are we allowed to claim work from home tax relief for the entire 2019/20 tax year? i.e. £4x52 weeks. Or can we only claim for the two weeks of that tax year (i.e. £4 x 2 weeks), to account for lockdown starting only on 23 March, when we were ordered to work from home? Naturally my 2019/20 self-assessment was submitted a long time ago, but I will make an amendment to include this, if such relief is allowed and get a small amount of tax back.
Posted Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:03:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Monika,

You should only claim for the two weeks.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:32:50 GMT by sarahpwales
Hi HMRC - I have read through all this forum and still cannot generate the questions about 'other expenses' needed to add the working from home allowance. The last question on the last page on the employment section is the one asking for Expenses Payment received and Balancing Charges. There is no other question after this one. What seems odd is that I had no trouble doing this last year so something seems to have changed. Can you please let me know what to do - thank you.
Posted Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:16:38 GMT by msladybird
Hi - if I had two employments in the tax year that I'm wishing to claim WFH tax relief for, do I put the annual amount (i.e.£312) for each job or the proportioned amount (i.e. count the number of weeks in each employment)? Thanks
Posted Mon, 31 Jan 2022 16:35:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi sarahpwales,

The question you need to answer yes to, is the one that asks if you wish to claim any Employment Expenses or Capital Allowances.

This will then open the expenses page.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 31 Jan 2022 16:37:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi msladybird,

The standard £6 per week is per person, not for each employment.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 02 Feb 2022 13:09:13 GMT by joanneboyd
I’ve been trying to claim working from home tax relief but when I put in my name, DOB and national insurance number it’s saying no records can be found against the details entered.

[Email address removed - Admin]
Posted Wed, 02 Feb 2022 15:44:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You will need to ensure your details are held correctly with Income Tax, if they are you would
need to complete a paper P87 form if unable to verify for the online account. 

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.