Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:59:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

This would depend on if you are claiming this through a Self Assessment return or not.

If you are completing a Self Assessment Tax return, there is a question which asks if you are claiming Employment expenses.

If you are not completing a tax return, you can claim online here :

Claim tax relief for your job expenses   

We are not able to provide step by step instructions for the non tax return option.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 22:22:21 GMT by Emma Blustin
Hi there, Can we only claim for the year we worked from home due to Covid, eg if I worked from home between 23 March 2020-31st July 2021, would I be able to claim for the 69 weeks (06 April 2022 - 31 July 2021)? ie £414 in my current tax return 2021-22?
Posted Thu, 10 Nov 2022 15:26:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

No you cannot claim for the period prior to 6 April 2021 on the 2021 to 2022 tax return. You will need to submit a separate claim or amend your 2020 2021 tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 01:30:24 GMT by C. Butenop
Hi admin, self employed here on cash basis. At no point I can find the repeatedly mentioned "question which asks if you are claiming Employment expenses." All answers describe it most vaguely as "it's not in the return section, more towards the end of the next". And there should be a box to tick "yes" for expenses. I'm sorry to say that this isn't helpful at all. There is no such box. All I'm offered is capital allowances where I can put in a sum. Well, that's where my car goes in. How and where please may I calculate and put in the expenses for my work from home? is there any way you can describe it with more than one sentence? I've also read all links about simplified expenses, still, they wouldn't give me a hint where in my SA I can put it in. thanks in advance for any help which is desperately needed.
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:01:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you are entering your expenses as a breakdown to show each type, the working from home should be entered under the rent,rates insurance box.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.