Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 16:19:29 GMT by indiavii
Last month I filled out my self assessment tax return for the first time and paid the relevant amount, and checked that this was all received. Now I logged in to double check everything was ok and my total tax amount / balancing payment has increased by £9. I have the original Tax Calculation summary from when I first filled out the return which has the old amount. Why would this increase? Do I need to keep checking for changes all the way until 31 January?
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 13:13:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

If the amount due is higher than expected, you can contact our Self Assessment team and we can check your account.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 13:31:21 GMT by indiavii
Hi, the issue is that an extra amount has been added since the initial calculation when I submitted my tax return, my account calls this £9 "Adjustment from tax return on 01 Aug 2022". I paid the total amount from the initial calculation (trusting HMRC's calculation), but now this extra £9 has been added, with no communication (I have now paid this as well to avoid issues). So had I not logged in to check, I could have been penalised after 31 January, thinking I had already paid everything. The description "Adjustment from tax return on 01 Aug 2022" doesn't say anything about why this adjustment was made, so I wanted to ask here why these adjustments are made after the initial calculation has been already given (and paid), and whether I need to keep checking up until 31 January to make sure no more adjustments are made?
Posted Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:24:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Sorry, the forum team do not have access to customer accounts.

Please contact our Self Assessment team who will be able to investigate.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:38:52 GMT by indiavii
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately all of your online advisers seem to be busy. I understand you don't have access to people's accounts, but I was wondering in general (not in my specific case) if you know why these sorts of adjustments would appear later, once an initial balancing payment had already been calculated and paid. It could really catch people out thinking that they had paid everything, as, in my case, it was not communicated to me that this adjustment had been made. Also, the final question of whether I need to keep checking up until 31 January to make sure no more adjustments are made is general and not account specific.
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:43:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

I would only expect the balancing payment amount to change if there had been an amendment to the return after it had been submitted. Usually if we amend your return, you would receive a notification by post regarding this.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:51:58 GMT by indiavii
Hi, thanks for your reply! I didn't amend anything on the return. It might just be that I'm yet to receive the notification by post that HMRC have amended it. I'll wait a bit and see if I receive anything. Thanks again.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.