Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 19:53:58 GMT by crazy00hk
Hi, I received a defered bonus that I earned in my previous company in overseas before moving to the UK. The bonus was for services I did before moving to the UK, however, the payment was delayed and could only be received after I arrived in the UK and became a tax resident in taxable year 2021-2022. I have settled my taxes in the designated country already (where my previous company locates). In this case, do I still need to report my income to HMRC through a self-assessment? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 06 Oct 2022 20:44:23 GMT by crazy00hk
If I am not required to file that part of overseas income to HMRC, but I've already registered SA1 Self Assessment and got a UTR number, should I notify HMRC that I no longer need to do a self-assessment? thanks.
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 13:14:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi crazy00hk,

This depends on the tax treaty with the country in which the actual bonus was earned, please refer to:
Tax treaties
for the country concerned.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:52:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi crazy00hk,

Yes you will need to get this closed
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.