Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 18 Mar 2022 08:56:59 GMT by Michal Skowronek
Good morning, I will be losing access to Gov.UK due to decision of HMRC to scrap Verify.UK service - as I was informed by letter from HMRC. I try to log in with the exact and 100% correct information from my P60, Payslip and Credit information but the service does not allow me to log in by Government Gateway. And the information I provide - once again - is 100% correct. I do not have Northern Ireland Driving License, I have pre-settled status. I am working for NHS for full time. How can I reset the Government Gateaway or make it work again? The telephone helpline 0300 200 3600, 0300 200 3300 are not answering - however I try to reach them from 08:00 am.
Posted Mon, 21 Mar 2022 15:34:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The only way to verify is by completing the questions online, if the system is not accepting your answers
you will not be able to access the online account.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Mar 2022 21:29:48 GMT by Winter5395
I have recently gotten a freelance job which means I will need access to a Government Gateway account however, I am going round and round in circles with verifying my identity. I do not have any form of photo ID, and despite Government Gateway saying I can verify my identity by payslip, it only gives me the options of passport, credit reference or NI driving license. I have tried to go through Gov.Uk Verify but this has taken me back to Government Gateway saying I cannot verify through that way either as I don't have a passport. Are these options of post office and payslip/P60 missing or is there something wrong with my account? I have been told other colleagues have managed to verify without photo ID but whatever I click on is just going in circles.
Posted Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:03:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are unable to sign in via the Government Gateway and you have attempted the alternative method via Gov.Uk.Verify,
please contact the Online Services Helpdesk for further assisisance. :

See link: 

Self Assessment: online services   .

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:31:05 GMT by Annabelle Jones
Hello I went today 1st april check my state pension and National Insurance via Gov.UK verify but states can no longer use to prove identity To use this service, you’ll need to prove your identity using Government Gateway. You’ll be able to register for Government Gateway if you have not used it before. I need help as eventhough I am registered with Government Gatway I failed 5 times to prove my identity and your online colleagues promptly emailed e helpline staff cannot assist with the online identity check. So as I keep failing the online identity check but want to use Government Gateway and have copy of my credit report using same agency you do (their information is incomplete ) how can i prove my identity to use the goverment gateway via post or other - been at same address for over 26 year - who do i write to and try and get this sorted - I did try and call both HMRC for national insurance and Future Pension service but having held on for over 30 mins - and still didnt get through on phone
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 17:11:49 GMT by Joana Magia
Good afternoon From today it won't be possible to sign in via Gov.UK.Verify and as we all know to sign in via Government Gateway we need to have a UK passport or a Northern Ireland Driving License. Therefore, my question is very simple: How can a non-national sign in to access HMRC services? Thank you
Posted Sat, 02 Apr 2022 16:18:03 GMT by byboyanov
Hello. Since HMRC remove Verify for verification. I tried to verify my government gateway but I have major problem I’m not UK citizen. I pass credit check but I don’t don’t have UK passport? What can I do now for verify my Government Gateway?
Posted Sun, 03 Apr 2022 21:37:09 GMT by Sean Collins
Along the lines of preceding posts regarding the demise of the Verify.UK service I know of at least six people who are non-UK citizens with either a UK Visa or Pre-Settled status who are now effectively locked-out of HMRC online or in one instance, now unable to initially register. All have Government Gateway accounts that are used for other purposes e.g. obtaining Pre-Settled status To date all I have seen no trace of constructive solution for these people, just 'You can't use HMRC online services' or similar which is both discriminatory and contrary to wider public policy re: improving digital access to public services. When is a proper alternative going to be provided?
Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 14:15:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Joana Magia,
If you are unable to verify with the questions using Government Gateway you wil not be able to verify for the online account.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 14:17:51 GMT by Paul Rayment Browder
Dear HMRC team, Unlike many of the others, I have successfully have my own access to my Self Assessment section. However, only recently have I now been "Locked out" from my once secure self assessment area. This has definitely got something to so with SURF 2. Is this elusive SURF 2 department contactable other than recorded delivery via snail mail? Your valued input here would be most welcomed !
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 11:20:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Annabelle Jones

If you have been unable to verify with the Government Gateway questions online, there is no alternative route for verifying.

You will not be able to access the online account.


Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 11:46:02 GMT by JaneF
Dear HMRC team 6 million non-UK nationals are therefore locked out of all online services. Do you see this as a problem? In my case, I have been using my wife's marriage alowance transfer. Last year her finacial situation changed, so we need to stop this. However, she is a US citizen, and cannot verify her identity to either change the tranfer, or to enter her own self assessment. We assume she will have to fill in a paper form and send it through the post, to cover her own taxes. Will the info then automatically flow through the system to change my tax code? Or can she stop the marriage alowance transfer over the phone? regards
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:31:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17


The only way to verify for Government Gateway is through the questions being asked online.

If you can't pass the questions you won't be able to access the account.

There will be updates to the verification journey in July.

THank you.

Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:35:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Paul Rayment Browder,
The only way to contact the team who are involved in the SURF process is in writing.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:41:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

There will be updates to the verification journey for Government Gateway during July.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 11:13:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi JaneF

If we have transferred the Marriage Allowance to you, then you can contact us to cancel the transfer and to stop it for any future years.

We can do this over the telephone.

Contact HMRC


Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 07:56:35 GMT by Luke marley
Morning, I'm trying to do my self assessment. I've submitted it and now it asks me to confirm my identity. I've used my p60 and credit as I don't have a valid passport but it keeps saying the answers are wrong. What can I do?
Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 12:00:20 GMT by Mark Mccarthy trying to verify myself..but when it comes to using 2 out of the 3 option...i cant use passport because its out of date and i dont have a ni driving licence...what happens now...i have spoke to 5 different departments and they keep passing me around
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:44:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Luke marley,
If you have submitted the return and are looking to request the repayment, you will need to contact our Self Assessment
department to claim the refund if you are unable to verify with the questions provided.

See link

Self Assessment: general enquiries .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:45:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Mark Mccarthy,
If you are unable to verify with the questions provided you won't be able to access the account.

There will be changes to the process in July, and you may be able to verify following the updates.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.