Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 10:54:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Yessengerey Bolatov.

If you are unable to verify with the options available you will not be able to access the online account.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 11:23:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Anke Burman,
If you are unable to verify for the online account you can complete the onscreen fill in and print form to post to us to register for a UTR .

See Link:

Register for Self Assessment    .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 22:32:45 GMT by Matthew Naylor
I am also in the above position, i.e. Trying to sign up to Government Gateway I am asked for 2 of either passport driving license and credit reference questions, I DO NOT have either a passport or driving license. Are you telling me and the others that just because you dont have either of these 2 documents we have no way to access normal government services that others do? How do I check my NI insurance so I may be able to get a full pension when I retire, the rules are changing soon so I may lose out to a life changing amount of money during my old age. I may also need this as I may soon have to claim Universal Credit. And the most astonishing thing is, I have an old paper provisional driving license but to get it up to date and be able to get a driving license I need a Government Gateway account. It is completely befuddling as to why some people have to provide these whilst others don't. I have recently helped 2 others sign up neither of which needed either of these, so it can be done. Is the only way I can get a GG account is to get a passport? Being on ESA I will find this extremely hard to afford. Matthew Naylor
Posted Thu, 09 Feb 2023 08:20:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Matthew Naylor,

All the options available for verifying are shown when you are trying to verify.
If you are not able to verify with the options you will not be able to access the Personal Tax account.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:34:27 GMT by Liz Carnell
Help needed please. My son is desperately trying to get into his account as his accountants have been useless and not filed his tax return on time, he has a small business. The system keeps telling him the account doesn't exist although we have all the info used when it was set up. He has been sent various gateway codes but none of them work. It asks for government ID and then says it doesn't exist. What does he do please to sort this out? Thanks
Posted Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:32:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If he already has an account but has been unable to retrieve the details online, our online services team will be able to assist him.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2023 16:13:43 GMT by Tooth
Hi, I set up a user ID and password successfully to try to access my national insurance records (so that I can make voluntary contributions for any missing years) via the government gateway, but couldn't then confirm my identity and get any further. I couldn't do it with the options that were available (I don't have a driving license or passport) and when I try phoning the numbers given on the page to resolve the issue I wasn't able to get the help I needed. I've tried phoning the HMRC number provided and the login issues number to no avail. Is it possible for me to ever get access via the gateway (online) or is there a way I can do this? I'm obviously concerned that I won't have enough time, hence why I thought it would be quicker using the gateway. Thanks in advance
Posted Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:59:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Tooth

With regards your identity confirmation please call the Online Services Helpdesk, their contact number is 0300 200 3600 for customers calling from the UK and +44 16 1930 8445 for customers calling from overseas.

The voluntary National Insurance contributions deadline for tax years 2006-2007 to 2016-2018 has been extended to 31/07/2023. See the following statement which is now an automated message on the National Insurance helpline – 

If you are calling to make a payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions, please be aware that the 5 April  deadline to pay voluntary contributions has been extended to 31st July. You can pay any time before the deadline. You may want to call back when lines are less busy. We advise you not to leave it until just before the deadline.
Before you pay, you should first obtain a State Pension Forecast to check if making a payment will make a difference to your State Pension. You can find more information online. Go to and search for State Pension Forecast.  If you’ve already made a payment, this could take up to 8 weeks to allocate to your National Insurance record, which you can view on your Personal Tax Account or the HMRC App.

Thank you

Posted Sat, 18 Mar 2023 12:24:41 GMT by Ni Hu
Hello HMRC, I’m trying to log into online service of HMRC with the latest option of using GOV.UK ID check APP to scan my International Passport and my face. I followed all instructions in the APP and have successfully completed all steps. But upon returning result from the website at, this error page is displayed: We cannot confirm who you are - Confirm your identity - GOV.UK ( ( I phoned both the tax office and the online services helpdesk but they both cannot offer useful advice on resolving the issue. ***I have a guess that it might be caused by the fact that the passport scan result showing my name in Chinese characters, not in English letters. Could you please raise this issue to relavent teams and start proper investigation? I feel unfairly treated as a UK resident who cannot access this common goverment online service, though not a UK citizen yet. Kind regards, Ni Hu
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 20:52:37 GMT by Jeddon
Hello, I been meaning to log into HMRC but ever since I changed my password I haven’t been able to log in because I have to prove my identity and I don’t have the 2 out of 3 things it has stated (UK Passport, UK Driver Licence, and the thing I can answer: Credit Reference Questions). I am unable to provide a UK Passport due to the fact that I am not a British Citizen (but I do have indefinite leave to remain status). I tried calling the HMRC services and they said that nothing can be done if I can’t provide with at least 2 things from the list. I tried registering but I got stuck at the same step where I need to prove my identity with the same 3 options. Any recommendations what to do at this point?
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 00:28:52 GMT by greytwins786 taz
Hi - I have the same issue. I am trying to update via HMRC and identify myself in order to submit a tax return. I have 4 options which are payslip/p60, Driving licence, passport and credit check. Having selected the Payslip and P60 option as well as passport, the response from HMRC is I need to select either payslip or P60 but there is no option to select each and it is an option as a whole and keeps failing. Can anyone please assist or has anyone else had this? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:35:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Jeddon,

That is correct. If you are unable to pass the verification you will not be able to access the account.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 09:52:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi greytwins786 taz,
You should not be able to select payslip and p60 as they can't be used together for verification.
Please report this on the page giving you the error.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.