Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:16:37 GMT by Paris Iron
I have incurred a gain through ownership and subsequent sale of shares in a US company. I have not incurred any US Tax on the gain from these shares. Can you please confirm that I should report in GBP these gains in the Capital Gains section of the SA.
Posted Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:18:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

That is correct   .

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 13:46:51 GMT by ranjan.rao Rao
Have the following questions about capital gains tax 1. For the capital gains reporting on HMRC portal, do we have to report each and every transaction or aggregated transactions are fine? 2. There was a witholding tax paid for the dividends, can I claim that as an exemption? This would be over and above the allowance for dividend allowance
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 10:35:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Where the disposal dates differ, then each disposal will require to be reported separately.  

Where multiple disposals occur on the same day a summary of the disposals can be used, with a breakdown pdf file attached showing how the summary figures were arrived at.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 15 Jan 2023 11:50:39 GMT by ranjan.rao Rao
Also, i had asked another question around a withholding taxes "There was a witholding tax paid for the dividends, can I claim that as an xemption? This would be over and above the allowance for dividend allowance". Although net dividend payout is less than 2000
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:32:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

SA106 notes advises that "if you’re taxable on the remittance basis, put any Special Witholding Tax (SWT) taken off your foreign income in column D.  

You must show your amount in UK pounds".  

"You need to add the tax taken off to the amount received after deduction and put the total in column B".  

Any overpaid tax will be repaid.  

You can find more information here:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.