Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 07:00:08 GMT by John Adams
Hi, I am employed and also complete a self-assessment tax return. I personally rent an office for 3 days a week to conduct my employment. The other 2 days are spent in the office of my employer. My employment income/tax is paid through PAYE. Is the cost of the office I rent tax deductable? If so, where on my self assesment return should this cost be written? Thanks
Posted Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:19:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you are renting office space to carry out the duties of your employment for three days a week by choice (ie office space is provided by your employer on the days in question, but you choose to work elsewhere) then you can't claim the rental cost as an expense.  

A comprehensive guide to what expenses you can claim as a PAYE employee is provided at: 

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.