Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 10:05:34 GMT by Claire Williams
Hi there, I have been filling in my 2021-2022 SA form and it states that I claimed SEISS in the last year, but I haven't. I did the year prior and this is on my form for 2020-2021 and I was taxed on it. The amount they are claiming I've taken is the same as the year prior. Does anyone know if there are any glitches on the forms, or if there was some caveat to claiming SEISS that I have completely missed? Many thanks, 
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 11:37:49 GMT by Pam T
Hi I have just done mine and the same message in red came up too, I am confused also, so I’m following this post. Pam
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:17:38 GMT by andrea Jobling
This has also happened to me. I have tweeted HMRC helpdesk and they are saying just continue with submitting the return but I am worried about doing that with the big scary red message flashing up.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:23:44 GMT by JTaylor
Also having the same issue unfortunately.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 15:02:04 GMT by Claire Williams
Thanks all - there must be a glitch in the system! I agree; the big red warning definitely puts me on edge.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:50:58 GMT by catface jane
The same thing is happening to me. I did claim the grants but the number is incorrect. In fact, it's saying I claimed over £16,000 which I don't think would be possible for anyone to do since there were only two SEISS payments this tax year and they were capped at £7,500 each! Been on hold for about half an hour on the phone and no reply. I'm not sure whether to submit or wait for a response.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:58:34 GMT by aw27
Same problem for me too - I've completed the rest of the self-assessment form but not submitted it. When you get near the end, it says that the number entered for SEISS payment doesn't match their records, and gives a big scary red message.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 20:24:34 GMT by Colin
Following this post for updates - my wife's having this same problem. The SEISS amounts received (tranche 1 & 2) were declared in the previous year's return, and it won't believe there's nothing to include this year. The early bird catches the glitches!
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 20:47:51 GMT by darren1159
Big Red box on self assesment. SEISS payment amount does not match amount we have on file. £2000 difference more. err any one else have this,.
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 09:57:11 GMT by Claire Williams
I chatted with someone at HRMC on the web chat and this is what they said: "We are aware there is an issue with the returns for 21/22 at the moment yes sorry. We are working to fix it but do not have a timescale at this time. You would either need to correct the figure and submit the return or can wait an try again at another time. If you amend the figure it will give a warning message but should let you continue with the return" "If you choose to submit the return and it still includes the incorrect seiss figure after it is processed you will need to appeal it at https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/decision" I'm going to wait a while and hope that the system is sorted!!
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 10:03:15 GMT by aw27
Just been messaging HMRC. Advisor said to use the figures I know are correct, and ignore the red message. Not sure though - might leave it a few days and see if it gets resolved first.
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 13:32:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Claire Williams,

We are investigating the issue, you can submit the return without a figure if you did not claim a SEISS grant during that year.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 15:52:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi catface  jane

There was an issue on 6/04/2022 where the 21/22 online return pre-populated SEISS1-3 grants instead of SEISS4-5 grants.

This has now been fixed and the correct grants should now be included.

Thank you.

Regards.
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 17:45:17 GMT by JTaylor
Still getting the same error messages.
Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:05:13 GMT by darren1159
just checked my self assessment and recalculated , IT AINT FIXED !!!!!!!!
Posted Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:27:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi JTaylor,

It has come to light that the fix implemented did not work if you had started to complete your tax return but did not submit your tax return to HMRC before the the fix was made to our software.
We have now received new guidance you can follow to fully submit your 2021 to 2022 tax return to us if you are still receiving the error message.  
Option 1 – You can continue to file and submit your tax return with the SEISS grant figure you received during the year ending 5 April 2022, ignoring the SEISS warning message. When the return is processed by HMRC the correct SEISS Grant figure will be included within your Self-Assessment tax calculation. You can view your 2021 to 2022 tax calculation online 72 hours after submission of your tax return to confirm.
Option 2 – If you do not want to proceed while this warning message is showing you will need to delete your entire 2021 to 2022 tax return and start again. In this option the correct SEISS Grant amounts will be shown. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:31:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi darren1159,

It has come to light that the fix implemented did not work if you had started to complete your tax return but did not submit your tax return to HMRC before the the fix was made to our software. We have now received new guidance you can follow to fully submit your 2021 to 2022 tax return to us if you are still receiving the error message.
Option 1 – You can continue to complete and submit your  return with the SEISS grant figure you received during the year ending 5 April 2022, ignoring the SEISS warning message. When the return is processed by HMRC the correct SEISS Grant figure will be included within the Self-Assessment tax calculation. You can view your 2021 to 2022 tax calculation online 72 hours after submission of your tax return to confirm.
Option 2 – If you do not want to proceed with the completion and submission of your 2021 to 2022 tax return while this warning message is showing you will need to delete your entire 2021 to 2022 tax return and start again. In this option the correct SEISS Grant amounts will be shown. 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.