Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 18:02:08 GMT by Matthew McLuckie
Hi, I'm UK Res-Dom with earnings as a non-executive board member of a Swiss based company. Switzerland has charged 25% withholding tax in Switzerland plus 7% in other canton and social taxes. On my UK Self Assessment form, can I claim foreign tax credit relief on the 25% of withholding tax charged in Switzerland?
Posted Tue, 07 Feb 2023 17:59:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Special Witholding Tax (SWT) was deducted under the European Savings Directive up to 31 December 2015.  
It is for this reason, the self assessment guidance notes for SA106 page FN6 (Foreign notes) states SWT was an amount taken off.
The guidance may still apply to remittance basis users, that may later remit income to the UK, which has suffered SWT.  
The guidance also provides a list of countries who deduct Special Witholding Tax (SWT).  
If your are claiming SWT in column D of SA106 and the country is listed as taksing SWT, enter this information in box 19 of page TR7. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.