Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:02:58 GMT by Dennis Thurgood
Usually my only income is the state pension and my annual income is lower than the tax threshold and so I do not have to do a tax returnI This year only I have rental income of £7,500 and after allowances and reliefs I calculate that I have £162.54 to pay in tax. I have a Government Gateway number but do not have a UTR number as I have never had to submit a tax return before. If I apply to be registered for Self Assessment a UTR number will not be allocated to me until after the online filing deadline for 2021-22. I obviously want to avoid a late filing penalty. Is there a way that I can pay this small amount of tax without a UTR please.
Posted Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:27:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Due to the level of rental income you receive, you do need to register for Self Assessment and complete a tax return. A penalty will be charged as we should have been notified by 5 October 2022 that you needed to complete a tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.