Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 13 Nov 2021 20:02:04 GMT by Gerlando Alletto
When filing my self assessment I am trying to understand how much I am supposed to enter in the "Other expenses and capital allowances" section if I am going to claim tax relief for additional household costs because I had to work at home on a regular basis in 2020/21 because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Shall I report £6 x 52 weeks = £312?
Posted Mon, 15 Nov 2021 15:10:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are claiming the £6 a week and you worked from home for the entire 52 weeks then you would entere £312.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Nov 2021 07:46:14 GMT by Gerlando Alletto
Hello, that doesn't seem correct since most forums online say that even though one has only worked a week from home, not voluntarily, but because the employer asked them to do so, one can claim for the entire year. Specifically, I did work from home the entire 2020/21 FY but my question is indeed aiming to clarify the confusion HMRC doesn't seem to solve on the amount to use in the self assessment. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Posted Wed, 17 Nov 2021 13:54:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you wish to claim the full allowance you should enter £312 on the return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.