Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:17:04 GMT by MelodyLi li
I was working in Hong Kong between 04/2021 - 10/2021. Then, I moved to the UK in 11/2021. I became UK residence in 03/2022. Do I need to return self assessment? Also, do I need to declare split year and my income earned in Hong Kong before I moved to the UK?
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:06:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

You would only have to complete a 2021/2022 Self Assessment tax return (and be considered for Split Year treatment) if you met any of the Self Assessment criteria -  ie, if, for example, you commenced self employment in  the UK, or you continued to receive income from overseas. Please refer to the guidance below for more detailed information:

Tax if you return to the UK                                                      

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.                                                                  


You must be signed in to post in this forum.