Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:51:39 GMT by M1454
Hi, I am FT employed but have completed a self assessment return the last couple of years so that HMRC can recover the child benefit charge. I am no longer claiming child benefit so do not need to complete a return next year. I was previously told by the helpline that I could request to close my account online but I can’t find a form for my situation, only where self employment is ceasing. Could anyone point me in the right direction please? TIA.
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:55:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you entered the date the Child Benefit ceased on the last return, it should close your Self Assessment.

Online you are only able to send the form if you do not meet the criteria for an earlier years return that is outstanding.

If you have not received correspondence to say that your Self Assessment has been closed, you should contact the helpline again.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:35:16 GMT by M1454
Hi, Many thanks for your reply.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.