Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:25:04 GMT by Joe Fong
Dear Admin, I received a message from HMRC telling me that I don't have to send a tax return after the year ended 5 April 2022 unless my financial circumstances change or HMRC tells me to. Does it mean I should not submit self-assessment for 2022-23 if my total income and capital gains remain below my personal allowance?
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:31:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you do not meet the criteria then you do not need to complete a return:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:16:44 GMT by skp Poon
Hi, I would like to know if I do not meet the criteria of self assessment but wrongly submit the SA1 form. What should I do? I’m the first year arrive UK and already pay tax thro PAYE. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:36:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi skp Poon,

Please contact our helpline to discuss your submission SA1 form. 
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 06:57:50 GMT by
Hi, I have filed my tax return for 2022-23 and received a message from HMRC about stopping self assessment. However, there is no change to my employment situation and I should require to do self assessment for 2023-24. How should I reactivate my self assessment for 2023-24 and pay provisional tax in coming Jan 2024?
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:55:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alvin Y,
You can check if you still meet Self Assessment criteria here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
If you do then you can contact HMRC to re-open your record.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:33:19 GMT by
Dear Admin, I received a message from HMRC telling me that I don't have to send a tax return after the year ended 5 April 2023 and charged me penalty. However, I have used the service of SelfTax to submit the tax return to HMRC before 31st January, 2024. Anything I can do at this moment? Many Thanks
Posted Thu, 22 Feb 2024 07:17:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Gilbert,
It could be that we haven't received your return.
Double check that you've fully submitted your return and sent it to us via SelfTax.
If you have, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
We can confirm if it's been received, and give advice on the penalty that's present on your record.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.