Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 30 Jul 2022 14:10:07 GMT by DJ M
Hello, I work for a UK company and get paid/taxed the usual way. I also do freelance work now and again (which is taxed via the SA20) - all online for various clients around the world. I have been thinking of moving to Ireland - I would keep my UK job but work remotely, so I assume the PAYE would continue as normal. However, as the freelance work would now be being conducted in Ireland, would this be a matter for the Irish tax authorities or HMRC?
Posted Mon, 01 Aug 2022 13:21:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you become a tax resident of Ireland, the taxation of both your PAYE and self-employed earnings will ultimately be a matter for the tax authority of Ireland.

When you leave the UK, please let HMRC know either by completing form P85 ( or the relevant section of your Self Assessment tax return).

If the Irish tax authorities start to tax your employment income, please let us know and we will review your tax code accordingly.    

Work in an EU country

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 01 Aug 2022 19:04:22 GMT by DJ M
Hello thanks for this. But if my team and employer are in the UK, and I get paid in GBP, surely this would be an issue for the UK HMRC?
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 08:38:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Not if you are not a tax resident of the UK.

You may need to report your income to the Irish government for them to tax and then claim exemption in the UK.

Plese see further guidance at :

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad Skip to contents of guide Contents    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.