Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:42:55 GMT by shiv Singhal
Facing difficulty during verify. Earlier, was using Gov.uk Verify Post Office to complete the Self Assessment. Since 31st Mar 2022, Post office service is not active and can not be used. hence tried to create account through gov.uk to self assessment. I have completed till Govt Gateway Access ID with login details. When process goes for verification, it asks that you will need to provide 'You will be asked to give details about two items you may have, like your: UK passport payslips or P60 Self Assessment tax credits and Voice ID Northern Ireland driving licence' I Have Payslips, Self Assessment and Credit Reference. I am Non UK Citizen on ICT Visa. but when i click further to provide information, it provides me only below options to select ''Choose 2 items we can ask you about UK passport Credit reference questions Northern Ireland driving licence'' Since I am Non UK Citizen hence I don't have UK Passport and NI DL. How can i verify myself in this situation? please help
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:04:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi shiv Singhal,

If you are unable to Verify with the questions being asked, you would need to complete a paper tax return.

Self Assessment tax return forms

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:27:10 GMT by shiv Singhal
Hi, I was not in UK and had no UK income in 2020-21. Will i need to file tax return?
Posted Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:32:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can use our online tool here to check if you meet SA criteria:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 01 May 2022 18:21:45 GMT by yiorgo
HMRC Admin, please can you clarify why none of the other options listed in the initial page (P60, Self Assessment, tax credits) are not available? Also, why are we not able to use a UK driver's licence? In effect you are saying that anyone in England, Scotland or Wales who has a UK driver's licence but does not have a UK passport or any one who resides abroad will no longer be able to access HMRC online services when they change their phone or other mobile device. Is HMRC actually working on resolving this issue to ensure tax payers are able to meet their obligations in an easy and secure way?
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 11:09:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi yiorgo,

We can't comment on why only certain questions have been made available.
There will be changes to the verification process in July, however we can't comment on these changes before they are implemented.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.