Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:12:53 GMT by Dragan
If I sell shares abroad, and report it on my tax return can I transfer all cash proceeds without any additional taxes or fees to UK? For example, if the cost base of shares was 10,000 and I sell it for 11,000 (hence I have a gain of 1,000) can I transfer to UK 11,000 or just the gain of 1,000? If I sell shares for 9,000 (hence I have a loss of 1,000) can I transfer sale proceeds of 9,000 to UK without any taxes or fees?
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:07:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dragan,

Yes you can transfer the cash/capital without it being subject to tax, any fees would be for your bank to charge if applicable, once you transfer the cpaital, any interest that this then generates is then liable to income tax.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.