Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Apr 2023 13:16:19 GMT by
Hi everyone, I've been trying to register for Self Assessment for weeks but I couldn't because, as I was told by a member of the HMRC Digital Support Team, my DOB is somehow incorrect with HMRC. Of course, I wasn't able to get through to a human support agent over the helpline, to get this sorted out. The Digital Support previously told me (via email) that they are unable to help and I need to send several of my original documents BY POST to HMRC but I don't see why I must do it since my DOB is correct in all the other UK databases, it's correct on my BRP and on the letter with my NIN I received, it's impossible to imagine how it can be incorrect here and not aligned with all the other state databases. It's so frustrating and there's seemingly no viable solution, I haven't found any cases like that on the Internet, it only says you can write to HMRC if your personal details changed but mine haven't, the date of birth has always been the same, in all the systems. Additionally, why should I spend my time and money to correct someone's human error that doesn't originate from my side? Why can't it be resolved online? I can't risk losing my original documents since I'm here under the Ukraine scheme and if Royal Mail loses my passport (and they are likely to, considering the quality of the service they provide), I would have to wait for months to get it re-issued since all our embassies and consulates are booked for months to come. If anyone ever encountered the same situation, I would really appreciate some advice Thank you
Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 12:40:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
If the date of birth is incorrect, you can only get this updated by writing to
PT Operations North East England,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AN.
You will need to confirm your full name and address, National Insurance number and evidence of the date of birth.
We can only accept an original document or a certified copy as evidence.
We are unable to update this any other way.
Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:10:58 GMT by
Hello, I am having a similar problem. I am a UK citizen with a British Passport. I have been living in my parent's house for a few years now and have been working mostly abroad. This has meant I have not used my GOV gateway page in a long time. I have recently attempted to log in to my HMRC profile using my gateway code, but it wasnt recognising some of the details. I called the HMRC and after several departmetns and very long waiting times I managed to find out that somehow the HMRC has my date of birth wrong. This is incredible as I have worked for years in the UK before and received payslips and payed my taxes. In any case they said that I would need to write a letter asking for a change of my personal details. This letter would need to include all my correct personal details, as well a copy of my passport. They did not mention I needed to certify my passport. Also the address they gave me was, Pay As You Earn, HMRC, BX9 1AS. I sent the letter yesterday and today it was returned to the Return address, which is my home address. My questions are: Do I need tot get the passport copy certified?? What is the correct address to send this letter to? Any help on this matter would be greatly apreciated. Kind regards.
Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:04:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are not sending the original then the copy needs to be certified.
The address to write to is PT Operations North East England, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AN.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 18:36:04 GMT by
Hi. I have a similar issue. My date of birth on the HMRC system is wrong. Therefore, i contacted the HMRC and they told me to send my Id proof. I did send them 1 month ago but still my details are not updated yet. May I know how long will take to be updated? I am really frustrated about this as it is affecting many things. If anyone ever encountered the same situation, I would really appreciate some advice Thank you
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:37:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi SUTHA1999,
Unfortunately, we can't give a timescale for how soon your date of birth will updated, but we're working hard to have your record amended as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 18:05:53 GMT by Inneke Mayachita
I'm having the same issue. I have sent my proof of date of birth on 18th Nov and haven't heard back since then and I still can't log in. How can I make sure that the letters were delivered to HMRC?
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:04:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Inneke Mayachita,
If you'd like to confirm that your letter has been received, please contact us by webchat or phone via
Income Tax: general enquiries
And we can confirm if it's been received on our mail systems.
Thank you, 
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 19:15:45 GMT by
Thanks for your reply. But I need it to be done urgently. Because of the wrong DOB my EU settlement scheme is in pending as they are not able to confirm my details through HMRC and also I need to sponsor my husband and this is going to affect that as well. Is there any other way that I can escalate this to a team to be sorted as soon as possible ? I am so frustrated because of this issue. It would be great if someone can help me with this. 
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:06:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi SUTHA1999

I am sorry but if you have submitted evidence of your date of birth we need to allow the department dealing with this to update your records, and is not possible to escalate direct to the Department. 

Thank you

Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 00:14:04 GMT by
HI, I recently noticed that HMRC have the wrong address for me in my personal details on the website and there doesn't seem to be anyway to The webchat just sends links that I have already tried that don't solve the issue. This is quite worrying considering letters may have been sent to the wrong address.change it. It offers an option to put in change of address and then asks for the date I changed address. But I haven't changed address, I've lived here for years.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 16:14:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the address held is incorrect then you can amend it online here:

Personal tax account: sign in or set up

If you are unable to amend it online you will need to contact our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.