Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 01:40:47 GMT by Deepak Sahoo
Hi, I am a non-domicile resident, and earned a foreign interest income slightly less than £2000. However I got a letter from HMRC to file self assessment. Could you please let me know if I can use online HMRC form to disclose foreign income but still get tax exempt given it is below £2000 threshold, and I haven't remitted any of that interest income to the UK. Thanks much.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 09:53:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Provided you can verify your identity, you can submit a tax return online.  

If you need to submit the residence section or the trust section, you will need to purchase third party software in order to submit your return online.  

Self Assessment will add your foreign interest, declared in pounds sterling on the return, and your UK interest and apply the rules that can be found in the following guidance:

Tax on savings interest

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.