Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:21:04 GMT by SMW
Hello, I have been waiting on a tax refund from SA 20/21. The return was electronically filed and a request for any overpaid tax to be refunded electronically. I contacted HMRC to confirm the refund and to ask how long it would be before payment to me. I must admit I called a few times and was told that it may take up to 10 working days to get the payment which I was happy with, but the 'Repayment Pending' flag has been on since the 10th Jan. I was also told that if the repayment went for further random security checks then it could take 8 - 10 weeks! Seemingly I would have received a message if it had gone for these checks, so as I haven't I would assume that the payment can be issued? How much longer do I need to wait for these funds, with COVID and the pressures which have manifested from that, I could certainly do with it. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:52:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi SMW.

If it has been selected for further checks, you would receive a letter if we required further information regarding the refund.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:13:04 GMT by SMW
Hi, thanks for the reply. On the basis I had not received any letter to notify of further checks required then I would have thought I would have received the funds by now. As I mentioned the repayment pending flag has been on since the 10th of January and I was told without the extra security checks being necessary then I would have the funds within 10 working days, this has now elapsed. Are there any other reasons why the payment would not have been made by now. Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:22:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi SMW,

If a repayment has been selected for additional checks I would not expect you to have received a letter yet, I would expect you to have a letter within 4 weeks of the date the repayment was created.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.