Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:58:11 GMT by Beverly Ng
Hi, I know that I need to do online self assessment tax return by January next year. But I am very new in the UK, I have never done self assessment before; I thought I could do it in my HMRC/Government gateway account, but I browsed the the gateway website the whole afternoon, I didn't find anywhere in the website I could do the self assessment. I didn't even know I need to register for self assessment until I saw the website below: - which mentioned "You must register for Self Assessment by 5 October if you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return and have not sent one before. You could be fined if you do not. If you’ve registered and you’re waiting for a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), you can check when you can expect a reply from HMRC....." Now I am so frustrated, how can I register for self assessment? And how to do the online self assessment tax return? The HMRC website doesn't give me clear instructions, I can do nothing except to ask your help, please advise!
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 10:51:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Beverley
You can check if you need to submit a Self Assessment tax return at:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return.
If you do meet the criteria then you ca nregister online at:
Self Assessment tax returns.
Once registered you will receive a Unique Tax Reference, UTR. Once you have this you can then enrol to file your Self Assessment online. If you need help to you can contact our Onine helpdesk at:
Technical support with HMRC online services
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.