Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:49:27 GMT by San CA
I have recently moved to UK and will become a tax resident in this year. I am currently unemployed and intent to file by taxes as a non dom on remittance basis. How do I register and let HMRC know that I am now a resident. I look at the doc 'Register for Self Assessment' but it refers to 3 scenarios only; Self Employed, Not self Employed, Partner or partnership. What would be the process for someone like me who is unemployed but will remitting funds from overseas. Thanks
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 14:07:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

You will select "not self employed". On the 2nd page, the last question asks for any other reason to register and you will state "to declare foreign income" in this section.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:15:26 GMT by San CA
Thank you for your response. I have done this and now have an 8 digit govt gateway ID. However to proceed further I am required to provide details of 2 of the following; UK passport, driving licence or credit ref questions. I have none :-) I have tried calling the help line number without success. How do I proceed from here?
Posted Thu, 21 Jul 2022 12:13:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If you are unable to verify, you will need to choose the option 'Register for Self Assessment and get a tax return: fill in, print and post (SA1)' Register for Self Assessment

You must be signed in to post in this forum.