Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Jan 2023 16:19:39 GMT by Christy C
I worked for a Hong Kong based employer remotely (in my UK home), and Hong Kong government will deduct £150 from my gross income £,3150 every month as Hong Kong pension saving. Q1: Is the £150 non-taxable? i.e. Is HK pension similar to those pension saving into a UK pension scheme, which is non-taxable item? Q2: Can I request for tax relief for the £150 Q3: Which amount shall I input in self assessment, is it the net income (£3,000) that I received? Or shall I input the gross income £3150 and then request for tax relief? Hope to get an advice, as I tried calling the hotline, sometimes the lines were cut accidently after waiting and talking for an hour. This is the first year we move from HK to the UK, and the return dealing is approaching, it is very stressful. Thanks. Kind regards, Cathy Thanks.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 10:11:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can claim tax relief on payments to overseas pensions for example 'migrant member relief'. You can see guidance here:

Claiming tax relief on your contributions to overseas pension schemes

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 11:11:46 GMT by Christy C
Thanks a lot for your advice, appreciated much! Can I further clarify, when I report the 'income' to HRMC, shall I report the gross income (i.e. amount before the HK governement deducting the pension) or the net income that I received? In the above example, gross income is £3150 and net income is £150.
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:01:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You would enter the gross amount and the tax deducted and claim relief on the tax already deducted.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.