Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 21 Mar 2021 18:57:38 GMT by conradt
Good Evening I have capital losses from selling crypto in 2017-2018 tax year which I have not reported to HMRC. My question is, can I report it with along with my capital gains for 2020-2021 and offset against this year's gains? If not, how do I report capital loss from a few years ago? Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 11:57:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You will need to write to us to tell us of the loss for 17/18.
You can only note this on the return if it for the current year. 
Once this has been noted, it will then be available for offset against any current capital gains. 

Thank You.
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 16:39:56 GMT by conradt
Hi Thanks for getting back to me, I have one more question. Do I need to fill in a form or template and send to HMRC or would a standard letter with my calculations be enough?
Posted Thu, 25 Mar 2021 09:24:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

No there is no specific form if not within Self Assessmnet.

A letter will suffice as along as you enter details of how the loss was calculated including acquisiton and disposal dates and costs. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Mar 2021 09:33:41 GMT by conradt
Hi Thank you for your response. So can I post a SA108 form along with the calculations? Many Thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Mar 2021 15:01:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17


Yes you can. 

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 May 2021 08:23:01 GMT by conradt
Hi How long do I have to wait for a response from HMRC? I've reported the loss via post and was delivered on 29/03/2021 but I have not had any update/confirmation.
Posted Wed, 12 May 2021 13:54:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Due to COVID post is taking longer than usual to process. For post received on 29/03/2021, you should expect a reply by 28/06/2021. We apologise the delay.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:27:30 GMT by conradt
Hello I have waited 3 months since my last post here and I still have not received a reply. I've posted my report to the address below, Is this correct one? Self Assessment HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS United Kingdom
Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:20:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi conradt,

That is the correct address.

It is taking us longer than our normal timescales to process post currently, to check if its been received you should contact our taxes department:

 Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.