Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 05 Jan 2021 09:59:39 GMT by oliver015
Hello, I would like to know whether this was resolved? I had the exact same issue 8 months ago and have been trying to have my DOB updated with HMRC ever since but nothing works. Please can you let me know what I else I can do. What I have done so far: Trying to set up a LISA at the end of the last tax year, I discovered that the bank couldn't finish the set up because my details didnt match those with HMRC. In August I sent a verified copy of my passport to National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office, HM Revenue & Customs, BX9 1AN. After 2 months there was still no change. I have since called the HMRC helpline about 10 times and each person assures me they have seen the problem and fixed it, but the details never update. On the 23rd December I lodged a complaint with the manager of the call centre team and she put me on hold for half an hour and finally assured me that she had been able to call a different office and the change had been made. Now, on the 5th January the change has still not come through. I don't know who else I can speak to about this. I have now been trying for months and the end of the tax year is coming round again and I do not want to miss another chance to put into my LISA. Please can you advise? Thank you
Posted Thu, 14 Jan 2021 09:17:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Hi,
I can only apologise about the delay in having this updated. We do not have access to your records via this platform to check the progress of this change. The date of birth, for security reasons, is not a change that we are able to make over the phone which is why we require supporting evidence to be sent to National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office. The usual timescale is 8 weeks for us to deal with the letter once we receive it. If you can contact us on 0300 200 3300 or by webchat at

Income Tax: general enquiries

one of our colleagues can provide an update. If this change has still not been made and you wish to complain further one of our colleagues can pass this on to a manager to have this escalated to our complaints team to review. 
Posted Fri, 12 Feb 2021 15:56:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
Hi Eugen Ivancia,
Firstly I apologise for the delayed response. 

You can find our contact information through the below link:
Contact HMRC

Thank you for your question. 
Posted Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:09:10 GMT by Jess Jay
I am two weeks away from my pension date, and have just found out, on logging into my Gateway account, that my DoB has been changed, as recently as a few days ago. The date was showing correctly on 7th July, when I last took a screenshot of my pension entitlement - and my pension date has been put back by a whole year. It's been suggested to me that this may have happened when my accountant filed my 2020/2021 self-assessment figures a few weeks ago, if he entered my DoB wrongly on that. I'm more than happy to post copies of my passport, birth certificate etc to HMRC as proof of my DoB, along with a copy of the invitation to apply for my pension, which was sent to me in April, and the email acknowledging my application. But the delay in the processing period means that if it's not all sorted within two weeks I may lose out on my first pension payments. This is causing much turmoil as I'm currently on Universal Credit, which will stop when I reach 66 in two weeks time. Is there a way to fast-track this, under the circumstances?
Posted Tue, 27 Jul 2021 09:10:26 GMT by Jess Jay
Update: It's been corrected! A very helpful lady from HMRC got back to me this morning, and the date has been amended. Superbly efficient and friendly service - thank you!
Posted Thu, 04 Nov 2021 00:46:34 GMT by Cliff the Electrician & Handyman
Hi Admin I have the same problem with my DOB. As told by HMRC, the National Insurance record was wrongly input in your system and ask me to send a letter to NI dept with a certified true copy. Hence, can I go to post office to certify my driving license? Thanks for your help
Posted Thu, 04 Nov 2021 11:54:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

Please see this link regarding cetifying a document:

Certifying a document

Thanks
Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:43:27 GMT by julie appleton
just found out when trying to access self assessment account that dob is incorrect.Now spoken with 3 people none of which could help and now been on line in q for an hour trying to resolve this.If self ass is late because of this will i receive a penalty as i will challenge this if its the case
Posted Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:22:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 24
Hi,  julie appleton

Updating the date of birth is a process that is done by National Insurance.

You will be required to write to them with evidence of the correct date of birth.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 02 Feb 2022 14:46:54 GMT by Ryan Wong
Hi, I am trying to register for a lifetime ISA but have just found out that HMRC has my wrong date of birth. I have already sent in a certified copy of my driving licence 2 weeks ago to National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office, HM Revenue & Customs, BX9 1AN. I have been told by both HMRC and National Insurance that they have still not received or scanned in this document. This is extremely frustrating as someone clearly made a typo when entering my date of birth - they entered 28 wrongly instead of 23. This is not my fault nor my employer's fault as both of us supplied the correct information. I do not understand why HMRC cannot simply change my date of birth based on the original document that my employer supplied initially? The tax year is ending in April and I am hoping to set up my ISA before then. It's been 2 weeks since I have sent in the documents as requested, but they have not been processed or scanned in. I have also been told it will take a further 6 weeks from scanning. Can this not be expedited since it is clearly the fault of HMRC/National Insurance?
Posted Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:33:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ryan Wong,

It can take up to 3 weeks for scanned items to show on our systems, and based on current timescales can be up to 12 weeks from date of receipt to be processed.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 09 Feb 2022 21:10:31 GMT by el22
Hi, I've had exact same issue with date of birth for past two years. I've not been able to create a government gateway account as date of birth wrong on a system somewhere. I followed guidance of tech team and sent my original birth certificate. I called to check it was received and even got the original sent back by HMRC. However, after calling multiple times and being hung up on by rude agents, the issue still exists and keep getting told it's fixed. I spoke with tech team again and they say it's still date of birth. I'm now not sure what to do. Who do I complain to? I am really not wanting another call. Is there any other way than post? Surely I don't need to send birth certificate again when clearly it was already received and even sent back! I have lost thousands of pounds in childcare tax help because of not being able to get government gateway account
Posted Thu, 10 Feb 2022 15:29:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The only way we can update this is after receiving documentation by post.

If you wish to complain the guidance is here:

Complain about HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 01 Mar 2022 14:06:12 GMT by Katharine Bevis
I found out my DOB was incorrect in Nov 2021 and did as instructed and sent off a countersigned birth certificate. I've heard nothing back and nothing has changed. The DOB was correct prior to this as I had checked my contributions. I simply wanted to update my new address which I have been unable to do. What do I do now? Can I get some guidance please.
Posted Tue, 08 Mar 2022 14:21:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You can check with our National Insurance department if your mail item has been received and processed:

National Insurance: general enquiries  .

We can also look at updating your address over the telephone if it has not been already updated.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Apr 2022 22:41:49 GMT by Monique johnson
Hello, I recently sold my flat. As it was a second home im required to pay capital gains tax within 60 days. I was trying to open my Govenment gateway account with no joy. I approached my accountant about it and she also tried, again with no succsess. I was advised to contact HMRC about the problem and got told there was no problem there but it must be to do with NI details. After contacting the NI helpline, it came to light my birthday had been inputed wrong in 2008! I was told to get a written letter of proof from my accountant with a signed and dated copy of my passport and marridge cert. This was done and sent. A week later i again, rang and was told that the proof presented to the NI was suffice but was going to take 26 WEEKS to process!! As I cannot get into my Govenment gateway i was again, advised to pay the outstanding balance using my UTR code by my accountant to stop a fine from being issued. This I did. I then rang to tell HMRC what the credited balance was on my account but could not get passed the security questions as my DOB is still wrong. So now the HMRC have my money with no idea of what its for and now my 60 days are up! How can i resolve this as im aware a fine could be held against me and its not my fault.Thanks
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:39:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you have been unable to register to declare the capital gains online, you would need to contact us by telephone and
we can issue a paper version of the form.

Once this has been processed, we can transfer any payment which was made to your Self Assessment account to the charge
for the Capital Gain.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:55:48 GMT by Monique johnson
Thank you for the responce. What number do i contact you for this form? Has the form got a code? just so i dont get it wrong. I rang NI helpline today to see if there is any progress but to avail none. Only to be told the is now a 50 WEEK delay! I just can't believe it. Thanks Regards Monique
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 09:22:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The form can be requested from out taxes department, its a PPD CGT form.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:48:19 GMT by oey2010
Hello, I noticed a mistake in my date of birth that you hold on your records back in June. As advised, I posted all required certified copies of documents to National Insurance office. Royal mail recorded that the documents were delivered on 13/6/2022. When logged into my Government Gateway account, there is a "Check Progress" tab. On this tab, it is confirmed that a form was received on 13/6/2022 with an estimated completion date of 4/7/2022. There are no dates stated for "Work started" and "Being processed". It is now 13/8/2022 with no further updates on the system. Please can you advise.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.