Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 10:56:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

He would need to contact our National Insurance helpline to progress chase this, as updating records for an incorrect DOB is handled by NI.

See link:

National Insurance: general enquiries   ,

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 14:35:27 GMT by Susan L
My DOB is also wrong. The advisor has told me to send a copy of my passport which is fine. He said to include my Name, DOB, and address in my letter. Do I also need to include my NI number? I didn't think to ask until I came off the phone.
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 14:39:22 GMT by Susan L
What is meant by certified documents? The adviser didn't mention this? Just said send a copy.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:12:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Susan L
If you include your National Insurance Number it will ensure that we find your correct record.
We would require the original to be sent or a certified copy, please see here regarding certified documents:
Certifying a document
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 07:40:44 GMT by Ralph Scollay
Hi, I'm having the same issues as others with the incorrect date of birth, I had sent off a certified copy of my birth certificate on 23/07/2022 (recorded delivery) with all required details i.e. NA number, name, D.O.B but nothing has changed on the system and would like to know the current status.
Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:57:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You will need to contact our NI helpline to query the progress on this.

See link:

National Insurance: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:34:09 GMT by KateA
I noticed a few weeks ago that my date of birth is incorrect on HMRC's system. I phoned and was told to send a photocopy of my birth certificate, which I did. I have now had a CA4118 letter saying HMRC were unable to confirm by DOB from the information sent, and requesting certified copies of EU birth certificate, EU identity card, EU passport or EU driving licence. Am I correct in assuming that UK documents would be OK (i.e. the standard letter is out of date)? Also, the letter says that certified copies need to have the official stamp of the certifying office or organisation and be signed by a representative of that office or organisation. Is this stamp necessary? I cannot see how I can get this without paying e.g. a solicitor. This link - - does not mention an official stamp, only that the document should have ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ written on the copy.
Posted Mon, 26 Sep 2022 08:24:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please contact our National Insurance department to confirm this :

National Insurance: general enquiries   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.