Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:21:09 GMT by IKE_ Ke
Hi, If having two activities - self employed (profits over £1000) and renting property. Can I use trading allowance for one and then claim actual expenses for property? Thank you
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 10:18:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Thank you for you question.
You mention that you have two sources of income.
Self-employed income and property income.
I assume that both sources of rental income are over £1000.
You can claim the trading income allowance and the property income allowance in the same tax year.  
You can claim expenses in one form of business and the £1000 in the other form of business.
You cannot claim expenses and the allowance for the same source of income.
There are some exceptions however:
Property allowances cannot be claimed for trades or property businesses carried on in partnership, or income that qualifies for relief under the rent a room scheme.
An individual cannot claim the trading allowance or property allowance if their trading income or property income includes any income from an employer or a spouse / civil partner's employer, a partnership in which they or a connected party are a partner, or a close company in which they or an associate are a participator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.