Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 14:46:22 GMT by Paul Banks
Hi, I'm filling in an online self assessment tax return for the first time as I owe a high income child benefit charge. I gather I can add 'adjusted net income' - so my salary minus pension payments to reduce what I owe. Where on the form do you add this figure? Thanks, Paul
Posted Thu, 09 Jun 2022 11:33:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You would need to answer 'Yes' to the question regarding pension contributions on page 3 of 'Tailor Your Return'

This would then open the page for you to declare the contributions.

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 10 Jun 2022 16:32:29 GMT by Victor Folami
Hi, I need some help please. I received a strongly worded letter from HMRC in the post a few years ago indicating i needed to review my income and payback HICBC. I filled in the self-assessment form and have paid ~£6000 back to HMRC over the last few years including interest etc. I recently received another left to do a self-assessment for 2021/22 fiscal year, however something this time pushed me into reading more and found out about the ANI (adjusted net Income). On applying this, I calculated that i did not actually need to pay the HICBC. I have unfortunately on previous self assesments indicated i earned over £50k, without calculating the ANI. How to i go about recouping the ~£6000 I’ve paid to HMRC. I have 3 children (1- born 2015 & twins - 2018)
Posted Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:30:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You can amend the 20/21 return if you submitted it online until 31/01/2023.

For years prior to this, you would need to write in advising of the changes required to the returns.

The furthest back you can look to amend a return is the 2018/19 year.

See link:

Self Assessment tax returns    .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:26:16 GMT by Victor Folami
Hi, Thanks for replying. I have attempted to amend the 2020/21 self assesment I sumited ~18moths ago but I canot. It keeps coming up with this error 3. Tailor your return Tailor error Warning You cannot remove a section from within '3. Tailor your return'. Please use the 'Delete' link from within the section you wish to remove. The 'Delete' link can be found in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Go to Check your progress to access the relevant section. I cannot find the delete link either, all I can find is the "CANCEL AMENDMENT". tHIS IS REALLY FRUSTARTING. PLEASE HELP!!!
Posted Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:22:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
It is correct that you can't change an answer from the Tailor your return section to remove a page.
When you are on fill in your return and are in the section that you need to remove, there should be the option to delete this section.
If this does not work you would need to write in to amend the return.
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.