Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 19:33:45 GMT by James Blake
Hi, I'm a non-resident (left UK few years ago). For year 2021-22 I have overpaid PAYE tax (I had NT tax code but my employer was collecting PAYE), to be refunded. I have submitted self-assessment tax return via post and it reached HMRC already. On the return I provided my UK bank account details and that I'd like a refund of the overpaid tax. The return of course contains all the details and calculations of the overpaid tax. Do I need to do anything else (e.g. submit any other form or claim, and if so, which), or will the overpaid tax be refunded 'automatically' based on my tax return? If the latter one, how long will it take until HMRC sends the refund? Kind regards, 
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 13:02:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If your tax return does not meet self assessment criteria and we are not expecting a tax return from you, we would reject the tax return as not appropriate.
We would try to process your claim through the PAYE service and repay any overpaid tax.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.