Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 05:15:54 GMT by alwaystouchout
I earned around £750 from self-employed work last year in addition to my employment earnings, is it necessary to file a tax return and pay Class 2 NI on my earnings from self-employment?
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:17:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You don't need to file a tax return if your gross earnings from Self-Employment were not more than £1,000.
You can still pay the Class 2 on a voluntary basis if you wish to do so.
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 19:27:18 GMT by alwaystouchout
Thanks, so if I wish to claim for tax overpaid on my self-employment earnings I should file a self assessment?
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 01:22:34 GMT by Robert Manners
My earnings as a delivery driver/ delivery partner was in the same region so my earnings in the previous tax year was not more than a £1000. I expect my earnings to exceed £1000 in this tax year, so applied for self assessment so I could report a tax loss for the previous tax year and hopefully report an income in this tax year above the £1000 earnings area. However I have applied for self assessment twice and have received an email advising me Thank you for your application to register as Self-Employed. Unfortunately we are unable to process your application as you appear to have used the wrong form to register. The SA1 form doesn't seem to be correct for a self employed sole trader so I am stuck now on what to do to obtain a UTR number for self assessment?
Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 16:06:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi alwaystouchout
You are correct.
Posted Wed, 03 May 2023 14:51:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Robert Manners,

To register as Self-Employed you need to complete form CWF1.

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.