Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 04 Jul 2021 20:52:13 GMT by HazedVisuals
So I am trying to register as a sole trader but I have to do a self assessment thing first, which I am trying to do, it is then telling me I will be asked to give 2 things of the list, it then chooses them for me and chooses Northern Irish Drivers License and Passport, Passport aint a problem, but i'm not Northern Irish so why would I have a Northern Irish Drivers License, is this a problem with the website or something? I need to register and get this sorted ASAP!
Posted Mon, 05 Jul 2021 17:58:52 GMT by Akshay Sonthalia
I am facing a similar issue. It asks to chose 2 out of 3 options - (a)UK Passport, (b) Credit Check, (c) Northern Ireland License. I only have (b). Dont have (a) or (c). Struggling to figure out the next steps. I called up the helpdesk but they didnt believe that I am getting these 3 options and said they cant help me over phone. Quite frustrating
Posted Tue, 06 Jul 2021 10:52:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi HazedVisuals,

Only details for NI Drivers License are currently available, it's not because the system thinks you will have one.

If you are unable to register online you will need to contact our Self Assessment department to start the registration process. See link below:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Jul 2021 11:25:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Akshay Sonthalia,

If you are unable to verify with the questions provided, you will not be able to verify for an online account.

You will need to complete the on-screen fill in and print form or contact our Self Assessment department to register see the link;

Self Assessment: general enquiries .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 16:40:44 GMT by Chi Wai Arrigo Leung
I have the same issue. I have a driving license issued by DVLA in the UK, but I don't have a driving license issued in Northern Ireland. However, the website keep asking me to provide my Northern Ireland driving license. I don't know how to do.
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 09:07:03 GMT by LOZ1981
POSSIBLE SOLUTION *Check your credit information is the same as what you are entering on gov website * We were having problems getting verified on my husbands account as we thought we knew what credit /loans/cards he has but it kept chucking us off. It turns out that something we classed as a hire purchase was actually listed as a credit card. Now that we've put it in as a credit card we managed to get verified. Hopefully this will help someone as it's very frustrating trying to figure out why you can't get verified - especially when you are trying to get a tax rebate.

[Post amended - Admin]
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 14:26:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Chi Wai Arrigo Leung,

The system asks that questions as we are able to verify using details for a Northern Ireland driving license.

If you are unable to verify with the options provided you will not be able to access the account.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 21:29:02 GMT by Chi Wai Arrigo Leung
Hi HMRC Admin 17 But I need to complete my tax return. If I cannot register the self assessment, how can I do the tax return? Please any other method suggest for me? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 17:01:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Chi Wai Arrigo Leung
If you are unable to verify for the government gateway, you can use our fill in, print and post version of the SA1.
Register for Self Assessment
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Wed, 01 Jun 2022 19:58:12 GMT by Chi Wai Arrigo Leung
Hi HMRC Admin 17, I follow your instructions and sent a SA1 to HMRC, then I got a letter with a 10-digit number. So I login again. However, the system still ask for my Northern Ireland driving license!!! I am very frustrated, I just want to complete my tax return, but after more than a month I still cannot register a self assessment account!!! Please help! What can I do then???? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 06 Jun 2022 14:00:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unable to pass the verification questions, you will need to complete a paper tax return.

See link:

Self Assessment tax return forms    .

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:22:34 GMT by Inder
Hi HMRC Admin 17, Self and wife relocated from India to UK in Sep'21 and I applied for HMRC SA1 forms for both of us together, got the relevant HMRC letters, UTR & Gateway ID around the same time. Both of us also work for the same organization in UK. Yet, for my online HMRC verification, the questions I was asked by system were around my Credit History as well as Payslips. And I was able to get verified. However, for my wife, after logging in with the Gateway ID 12 digit number, the system ONLY asks for 3 things, as also mentioned above in chat room (a)UK Passport, (b) Credit Check, (c) Northern Ireland License. And she is unable to get verified. My wife does have a UK driving license, has UK Payslips, UK credit cards, UK BRP (just like I have all these) yet HMRC portal allowed me to get verified by giving me option about 'Payslips' & 'Credit Check', however is not giving these options for my wife surprisingly. Would we know why the portal is not offering the standard verification questions for 2 individuals, having immigrated to UK together, from same country, same time, working in same company in UK and staying together in UK at same address. Kindly suggest a solution for my wife to also get her HMRC account verified online.
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 09:38:45 GMT by sarah
I’m trying to register for an online account also but their proof of identification is very poor. And when you’re trying to phone them, they keep you on hold for hours. There must be something that can be done about this surely.
Posted Tue, 28 Jun 2022 10:57:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Inder,

If your wife is unable to verify with the options provided she will not be able to access the account.

There will be updates to the process in July and she may be able to verify then.

It may be worthwhile for your wife to contact us to ensure that the employment is held on our records, as if she is paying tax and NI on these payslips
then I would have expected payslips to be an option for verifying. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 28 Jun 2022 13:54:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unable to verify with the questions available, you will not be able to access the account.

There are updates planned for the process during July, and you may be able to verify then.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.