Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 21:17:07 GMT by
I was on the phone today (tbf the lady was probably 1 of the nicest I’ve spoke too) apparently the ‘security’ department they can’t contact &; everything is done via email Very frustrating I done my self assessment on the 9th, processed on 12th April 6 week wait is over What is going on!
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 09:23:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Nils Dawson,
You should wait for a letter, or you can contact us again after a few weeks.
Thank you

Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 10:06:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi G CLOH,
If the checks are passed, then approval will be given for the repayment  to be issued.
Please allow a few weeks for this from when the checks were passed.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 13:13:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Catalin18 Postolache,
We can't confirm this without viewing your account.
If a repayment is selected for additional security checks we aim to clear them within 6 weeks however this can take longer at peak times.
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 14:12:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Sgwells

A large number of returns are filed early and this increases the amount of security checks that are done. We aim to clear these within 6 weeks however at peak times it can take longer.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 14:15:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi callum Reger

We aim to clear the checks within 6 weeks but this can take longer at peak times.

Thank you
Posted Sat, 03 Jun 2023 11:40:16 GMT by
Hi, I submitted my return on and amended my return the 9th of April which was a return of just over 9k, I was going through my paper work and noticed a correction and amended it on the 3rd of my may which update the return to 7400. I was originally told near the end of April to wait till the 24th of may for security checks to be complete. I then called on the 24th only to be told another 6 weeks that’s 7th of July. Please why is it taking so long and is it possible for you to ask for another 6 weeks making 18weeks in total ?
Posted Sun, 04 Jun 2023 16:16:14 GMT by
Hello, hmrc advised I was due for a tax refund last week and that the repayment had been made but so far the money has not arrived at my bank account some four days later. How long should it take, I'm worried I may have entered incorrect bank info etc. Thank you for any assurance!
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 09:36:59 GMT by
Absolute ridiculous service atm self assessment return completed on 6th April told repayment was pending. Was then told to wait 6 weeks and should recieve a letter or message if further info was required? Rang up after the 6 weeks been told to wait another 8 weeks but there are no notes on the system as to why it’s taking so long still no letter or message. What do they need to verify you have to verify yourself million of times before you get to an advisor on the phone. Digital advisor doesn’t help as always says advisors are busy? Quick enough to take tax of you but don’t like to return when overpayed.
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 17:09:55 GMT by
Same here. Been told to wait 6 weeks until 23rd of May then I have been told the payment will be issued in few days as I past the Checks, after 2 weeks called back and they said I have to wait another 6 weeks as there are no notes that Checks been carried . Now they said not to contact them until 14th of July.
Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 14:09:15 GMT by
My repayment pending hasn’t changed since the 17th April got told the 6 week security checks was happening then would be another 2 after that for payment to hit the bank still waiting every time you ring I get fobbed off with different excuses there’s been no letters nothing in this time but yet if you owe them 20pence they bombard you with letters
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:04:33 GMT by
Ridiculous tried ringing again as still no information and now saying lines are closed till 4th September to deal with repayments? They charge daily when you’re overdue?? Can’t speak to an advisor on digital help
Posted Sun, 02 Jul 2023 12:00:55 GMT by
I applied for a repayment over 10 weeks ago and have heard nothing since, I cannot contact anyone about this since the phone number id down until September. I tried the online chat option with no help. I see that other people have 'payment pending' in their bank accounts, I haven't even seen this. Can someone please advise how to move forward with this?
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 12:20:28 GMT by AndyB
Sent in my SA return at the end of May, repayment due, was told four weeks but still showing as pending. Managed to get an online chat yesterday and was advised to wait till mid September and not to chase before then as this may incur additional delay and there was nothing more they could tell me. When I questioned the acceptability of a four-month wait, I was basically told 'tough' and 'to complete the post chat survey if I had any feedback' - followed by 'goodbye' - making it very clear this particular interaction was over. Not sure HMRC would offer me four months grace if it was me owing them but there it is. So to those still waiting it seems the message is 'check again in September'.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:15:17 GMT by
I applied in feb 2023 for a refund for tax year 21-22! I also just got told by the chat bot 18 th September.

Name Removed  Admin .
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:54:21 GMT by
I am owed a re payment of 342 pounds
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:40:02 GMT by SRELEJEUNE
Hi I usually have 'overpayment from tax return' and usually HMRC sends me the overpayment within a few weeks of me submitting my self assessment tax return. That was all fine. However last year, (2021/22) this did not happen. I submitted my return in July 2022 (one year ago). My HMRC account shows that I have overpayment owing and it is stated as 'not yet used'. How on earth do I get this money back from HMRC? Thanks
Posted Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:22:48 GMT by
In the past week my status has gone from, Bank repayment pending to Bank repayment, what does this mean? Also how long will it take to receive payment
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:49:46 GMT by AndyB
I couldn't resist trying the chat line for a second time - after passing many security checks I was told they would send an enquiry to the team processing the repayment to ask about the delay. I was also asked to provide a phone number for contact purposes - which I did. A better experience than last time but, on the downside, I was advised that checks may take until the end of October and not to get in touch again any sooner. If using the chat, make sure you've got your dates handy and your current financial information, as you may need this to clear security checks. Let's see if anything gets progressed now...
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 11:06:47 GMT by
Hi, My tax return refund has been on pending for about 6 weeks now, how long does this usually take and is there a phone number I can contact to try to sort this? Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.