Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Oct 2022 10:40:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You will need to contact our helpline to query this, as we would need to see your records to advise of the reason.

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries .

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 12 Nov 2022 18:07:27 GMT by
Hi, I appreciate your time and looking forward for your answer 1.How long the status "Bank repayment pending" usually takes to change to "issued"? 2. If there is a security check is required. When will I be contacted? 3. What does the security check consists of?
Posted Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:29:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If a repayment is not selected for checks, it usually changes to issued within a few working days.

If we are doing additional security checks you will receive a letter. The checks are to verify the information that has been entered on the tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 05:06:58 GMT by
Hi again, The last question on this page was from me. I have been waiting for the security check for two months now? My tax return doesn't require all that check. How long should it take?
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 16:01:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you contact our Self Assessment team we can provide an estimated timescale based on when the repayment was selected for checks.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 05:12:36 GMT by
Hi all, So, for what I've just read pending payment take up to 8 weeks. it's seems to be fair for this institution to withhold our overpaid tax. So why if we owe HMRC as little as £1 you check and fine with days? How is it possible to go through security that quickly in that case and not otherwise?
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 14:48:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Edge Duran
Some of our repayments are selected for additional security checks and it does take time to get through these.
Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 13:14:33 GMT by
Hi my returns been saying payment pending for 4 weeks now haven’t heard anything from them so have no clue what’s going on.how long do these checks normally take ?
Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 07:45:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jnimmo26,

We aim to clear these checks within 6 weeks however this can be longer at peak times.
If you contact our helpline after 6 weeks we can check your position.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 15 May 2023 19:34:36 GMT by
I submitted my refund request following submission of SA on 6th April. I waited over 4 weeks before contacting HMRC using online chat, all the while the money still showed as a credit on my tax account, still available for withdrawal. It was only when I went through the online chat and answered multiple security questions confirming bank details etc, that it eventually changed to bank repayment pending. That was two weeks ago and it still says that. I went through online chat again today, more security answers given, and (after pressing) the advisor confirmed it has been pinged for security checks. Whilst I genuinely appreciate the need to guard against fraud and ensure money isn’t being stolen, it’s been nearly 6 weeks and I am ultimately none the wiser as to when my hard earned cash will be repaid back to me - reading that some people are still waiting months (even years) in some cases is just preposterous in this day. Surely making the refund claim through the personal tax app means the identification is verified, and every time you go though online chat you have to tell them your bank details and every other tax detail - what other ‘security checks’ could there be? Does security checks mean a SURF letter - I’ve received nothing in 6 weeks - or might it miraculously just be approved one day!?
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 11:52:34 GMT by
There is a delay with the online part of Repayment requests for self assessment. They are currently dealing with requests made to n the 5th of April, and that hasn’t changed since Tuesday after last bank hol (9th May) It did say the 4th on Monday the 8th so it is progressing albeit slowly. You can find out this information by search “HMRC service dashboard” in Google then select “start now” on that page. Once there scroll down to “Refund from a Self Assessment tax return – online submission” and it will give you information on the progression of their repayments. Like I said, as from today, that are dealing with all requests made on the 5th of April and there is a wait time of 4 weeks when to contact them from the date they are processing, so basically 4 weeks from when you see the day change.
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 13:28:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Jamborl2216,

The checks are completed within a department in HMRC and if we require further information before issuing the repayment you will receive a letter.

This could include a SURF letter if appropriate.

We do aim to complete the checks within 6 weeks however this can take longer at peak times such as the end of the tax year when a lot of returns are submitted as a refund is due.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 10:16:14 GMT by Emma Briant
I don’t believe any of this. 10 working days. Current delay and dealing with returns from 6th April. I’m Still waiting for last years and now this years! It’s been saying payment for ending for 9 months. All I’m told is call beach in 4 weeks. 2 weeks 6 weeks. It’s gone for security checks. Nothing in the post and no one knows anything???
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 13:37:01 GMT by
Iv had this every year for years all my mates get there’s know problem mine is a nightmare when you ring um it is pointless they just send a referral then ask you to wait 6 weeks that passes then same again is there any way around this iv waited 6 weeks now it’s been saying bank repayment pending any one on here know how to hurry them up
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 09:45:59 GMT by
Hi there My surf letter was returned on the 17th of April, I called up for an update on the 15th of May and was told the surf letter had been approved and that hmrc where happy with the checks they carried out, but still my app is sitting at bank repayment pending? Why if hmrc have approved the checks carried out hasn't my overpaid tax been returned? We are now going into the 12th week since I done my self assessment. Regards
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 10:13:45 GMT by
What irritates the life out of me is how they are instant if you owe money, they're brutally efficient then it seems
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 16:55:38 GMT by
Absolutely ridiculous, been waiting since 11 April and still bank repayment pending.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 17:56:29 GMT by
I done my return on 6th of April I been told to wait 6 weeks.They pass the 6 weeks last week and still nothing my payment is still pending.No letter or anything from them can someone please tell me what happened
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:18:13 GMT by
I have come to the conclusion they just pay out when they want iv been waiting 6 weeks spoke yesterday they said they will send a referral iv had no letters so one of too things you will receive a letter or it will just change to issued whenever they wish it to .they make you wait fob you off then make you wait more nothing we can do! what I don’t understand is why can't they say one minute il find out ? Put you on hold ring who ever and get you a straightforward answer my guess is the more people that wait the more money they can Clarw back in interest
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 19:51:50 GMT by
I filed my tax return on the 8th due to it being a bank holiday it registered on the 11th due to previous years I was expecting a payment within a week or 2 not a problem but nothing so phoned up and was told I'd need to wait until the beginning of May to phone again and check due to it being under security checks. So May comes up and I phone again "we are going to send a refural and chase it up it is under checks" OK no worries I used the chat this time as I didn't have time to wait another hour to get through the 26th they said it will go in and if it dosant we will chase it. After realising what a joke this has been I phoned them today and said I apologise this will be the last time I contact you I know your busy but is something wrong? Give us a ring mid July if it dosant come through.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.