Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 31 Dec 2022 16:52:48 GMT by Flora Tang
Hi, I am employee, employer has no presence in the UK and I have to work from home wholly without any subsidies from employer. One room of my house is used for my job purpose. Can I claim tax relief on rental and council tax ? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:25:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As the employer is not UK based, you will be classed as self employed. Please refer to the guidance here:

Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 07 Jan 2023 10:26:42 GMT by Indigo
I am not employed by HMRC, but think this answer is completely wrong. Although the employer is not in the UK, the individual is still classed as employed and needs to account for their own Tax and (if applicable) NIC. This can be done by operating a Direct Payment PAYE Scheme or the tax can be collected via Self Assessment. Any expenses allowable would need to be within the rules for claiming expenses as an employee.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.