Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Oct 2022 11:33:58 GMT by cavcav
I moved to UK since June,2021 with BN(O) Adult Dependant Relative visa. In 21-22 tax year, I didn’t find a job in UK, but I was working as a freelancer and earn from overseas clients(total yearly income just around £1,000)Do I need to send a self assessment tax return? Also, I want to Apply for Marriage Allowance, so I can transfer my Personal Allowance to my husband, what should I do? Should I do self assessment tax return first? Or can I do at the same time?
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 14:41:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Yes you need to register for self assessment.

Please refer to guidance at :

Tax on foreign income  .

For the marriage alloweance :

Marriage Allowancey .

You want to apply for this before comoleting the tax return  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:24:59 GMT by cavcav
Thanks for your reply! I just found that my foreign freelances yearly income should be below £1,000 in 21/22 tax year, do I still need to send a self assessment tax return first?
Posted Fri, 07 Oct 2022 08:25:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You only need to send the return if you want to prove your self employment or claim expenses over £2500 in relation to the income.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Oct 2022 12:16:11 GMT by cavcav
Thanks for your reply! 1. That's mean if I don't need to prove I'm self employment or claim expenses, also the annual income is below £1,000, then I DON'T need to send the return in this tax year. Am I correct? 2. Moreover, before I arrived in the UK(since June 2021), I was employed in Hong Kong and I quit my job on 30 April,2021 and the salary in April is over £1,000. Do I need to do self assessment and apply split year treatment? 3. I want to know more about when should I need to prove I'm self employment? I saw this " You can still send a return if you need to : prove you’re self-employed, for example to claim Tax-Free Childcare or Maternity Allowance" after I finished "Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return". How about Marriage Allowance? Do I need to prove I'm self employment to claim Marriage Allowance? Thank you so much and sorry if I bothered you by my questions.
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 12:28:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi cavcav,

1. Yes, that is correct  
2. Under the circumstances you have outlined, you would not have to claim Split Year Treatment (by completing a 2022 self assessment tax return).
3. You do not have prove you are self-employed to claim Marriage Allowance.
The quickest way to claim Marriage Allowance is online:  
Apply for Marriage Allowance

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:38:39 GMT by cavcav
Thanks for your reply! 2. That's mean I do not need to file self assessment tax return in this tax year? Thank you so much!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.