Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 May 2021 16:37:55 GMT by walkersa
Hi, I was made redundant during the year. My redundancy payment (more then £30,000) was included with my monthly pay. I know how much the redundancy payment is, but am unable to say exactly how much tax relates to this payment as it is captured with my normal pay. What figure should I enter in relation to tax paid of the redundancy payment? Secondly, where on the online self assessment form should I enter the redundancy payment?
Posted Tue, 18 May 2021 12:44:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You do not need to split the tax figure.

The full amount remains on the employment section and then you can tick the box on the redundancy section that states the tax is reported elsewhere on the form.

Teh redundancy section can be found under the SA101 section or the employment lump sum section of the online return.

You will need to tailor your return to ensure this section is set to yes.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:15:35 GMT by simon hird
Hi, digging up an old one. The answer given here does not reflect the options on the online SA? Please can you tell me where I input the redundancy payment as currently the calculation appears to be working out tax on the whole amount, which £30000 was tax free? Thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:12:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Only the amount in excess of the £30000 exemption limit should be entered in the additional information section of your Self Assessment tax return (in the box 'Redundancy, other lump sums and compensation payments – the amount above the £30,000 exemption').  

Additional information notes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.