Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 31 Jul 2022 17:15:31 GMT by Ruled Pages
Forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question, but it seemed the best place to start, as Self Assessment uses the UTR. I have been asked to supply my UTR to a person employing me as a freelancer, as proof of self-employment. However, as anyone who has one would know (unless things have changed recently), HMRC says your UTR is confidential and should not be given to anyone else, it is only to be used when contacting HMRC. Has anyone else had this? And what have they done in the circumstances.
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 12:42:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

It is possible that they ask for as part of their record keeping of who they made payments to  .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 10:38:49 GMT by Ruled Pages
I can see how they might feel they need it for their records, but should I be handing my UTR over when HMRC has stipulated it is confidential and not to be given to other people.
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 15:49:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ruled Pages,
That would be a decision you would need to make.

If you do not wish to tell them your UTR you would need to contact them to discuss the matter.

Thank you 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.