Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 13:55:41 GMT by asmeldrum
Hi, I've been trying to research how I fill the Self Assessment form for the following scenario. I received some shares as an award a few years back, those shares vested and I sold them before the end of the 22/23 tax year. I was paid for the sale of the shares through payroll (i.e. it was added to my paycheck). The tax for these shares was withheld automatically when they vested (i.e. before I sold the remainder of the shares). I cannot figure out how to fill the self assessment form to reflect this and as a result it is calculating that I owe tax which I don't believe I do (as the tax on the shares was withheld already and my pay is taxed at source). Advice would be gratefully received
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 07:45:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi asmeldrum,
As the tax has been paid via payroll, this income is included in your P60 and you don't show them separatley.
You may not need to declare any gain depending on the type of company scheme involved.
Please see this guidance here: 
Tax when you sell shares
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.