Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:50:21 GMT by littletiger
In Jan this year, i lowered the HRMC's estimate of the coming year's tax bill to reflect the business condition. The financial year turned out to be better than expected (thanks to the business condition recovering in March) thus higher tax bill than my estimate back in Jan. I wonder how i can increase the prepayment to reflect the actual tax bill so that i don't need to pay interest on the difference between the actual tax bill and my estimated tax bill back in Jan. thanks.
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:44:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You can amend the Payments on Account online, however you can only increase them to what the original figure was.

If the amount due is higher than this, you would not be charged interest above the figure we originally asked you to pay.

See link:

Understand your Self Assessment tax bill   .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2022 20:28:04 GMT by littletiger
Thanks for your reply. forgive me if I am asking a naive question but I can only see the option of "Reduce payments on account" online. where could I amend the payment on account upwards? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:35:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

It is usually the same online form to do both, however if when completing the form you do not see the option to increase, you should contact our Self Assessment helpline.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.