Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:03:59 GMT by Mark Hopton
How do I get passed this new identity thingy, i dont have a valid passport or a northern ireland drivers licence!!! i want to reclaim my overpaid tax or do i just wait until HMRC repays it to me. in the past i have always reclaimed once it is shown on my account.
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:32:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If this is from your Self Assessment tax return and you are unable to verify, you should contact our helpline regarding claiming the repayment.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:25:06 GMT by Mark Hopton
I simply cannot do this as i work all day and only take half an hour for lunch and do not get home till after 6pm and i am sure I wont be the only one like this. Helplines should be open on a weekend for those of us who do not not have a 9-5 job/contracts. Why have you changed the way to reclaim repayment I am on my account which i have to enter log in details for, and the refund going into my bank account !
Posted Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:21:47 GMT by Daveyd MARTIN
Completed self assessment on 5/4/22 but am still not able to verify as I do not have passport! I do have uk drivers license but that is not listed as an alternative! All my mates have received there tax refund, contacted HMRC on phone 25 mins wait to be told to go bottom of the said page and click on link! What link??? Please! There isn’t one, just got fobbed off, can anyone help please, am sure there’s thousands out there in this situation Kind regards D MARTIN
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 09:34:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Daveyd MARTIN ,
If you are unable to verify you will not be able to claim the refund online.

You can only claim the refund by contacting our Self Assessment department in writing or by telephone,
I apologise if you were told you could do it online.

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 12:38:24 GMT by Mark Hopton
if writing what address should i use???
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 15:17:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mark Hopton,

The Self Assessment address is at the bottom of this page:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:13:30 GMT by Romulus
Hi, there! I cannot claim a repayment, due to not having a UK driving license or passport. I am abroad for a couple months and I can't contact HMRC by phone, because I don't have the UK sim card with me. It's any possibility to contact them online? Please advise how to solve this problem, as I desperately need the money? I do not understand why they made it so complicated, when you log in using the gateway???
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 12:36:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

In order to claim the repayment online you need to go through the verification.

If you are unable to pass this you will need to contact our Self Assessment department.

We do have an international telephone number. 

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.