Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:53:52 GMT by materialhazard
I am fully employed but fall into the third category of those who need to fill in a tax return--ie. I am neither self-employed nor a partner in a business partnership. As I am fully employed, all of my tax payments are paid via PAYE, and hence I ought to owe no tax on top of what was paid directly by my employer. My problem is that the self-assessment calculator seems to believe I owe money, but I don't think this should be the case. The figures I used are coming from my P60. Am I filling the form out incorrectly or are one / multiple of my assumptions above mistaken? (eg. am I accounting for something like student loan / National Insurance / pension payments incorrectly?) I can't reach anyone via the phone helplines to address this. Many thanks
Posted Fri, 03 Feb 2023 11:27:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi materialhazard,

When completing the return, please ensure that you are including the income and tax deducted as shown on your P60.

Also include any allowances there were included in your tax code.

You may have underpaid through PAYE.

Once you have submitted your return, allow 72 hours for processing.

You can then contact our Self Assessment  helpline so we can view the calculation and advise of where the underpayment is from.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.