Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:10:21 GMT by
I paid my self assessment tax on the 1st November via the online portal. I received an email to advise that payment had been received, but on checking my bank statement it is showing as gone to HMRC ETMP Glasgow and the reference number (4 digits) does not relate to my unique reference number. Several unsuccessful attempts to contact HMRC (keep getting cut off at 59 minutes) so have now filed a complaint but you cannot send any documentation to prove payment. Has anyone else had this problem?
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 09:55:33 GMT by comoptrol
Yes I have the same problem - I paid the tax due on time, had email confirmation and money left my bank. Did this using the Gov portal and the standard HMRC payment programme. But that payment programme did not send it to using my UTR and it does not show on my online account as paid. I called like you a number of times, waited the usual hour to get connected to someone and was promised a call back from the payment team but never got any call. Now I am incurring interest payments on the 'overdue' amount. After another 45 minute wait on a call I have been promised that the wrongly allocated payment (not my mistake!) will be moved to the correct account 'this week' but I have to keep logging in to check - and if it does not appear I expect I will have to phone in again. To get back the interest charged or to have it removed, I now have to appeal the charge. Why cannot it be automatically erased as this was not my fault or error?
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 08:17:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi comoptrol,
Once the payment is allocated it will show the original payment date and at that time the interest charges will be updated on your statement.
If you check your online account once allocated the interest will be updated. 
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 21:30:57 GMT by comoptrol
Thanks Admin 25. That's good news. Unfortunately the payment has not been allocated 'this week' as promised so I just have call in again, wait on the line for 45-60 minutes, explain it all again to some anonymous person, hold the line while they contact somebody else, get a vague commitment that it will be sorted out, be told to check my account in a few days etc etc. I paid the tax due on time, had email confirmation and money left my bank - that was three months ago. Can Admin 25 help me to correct the allocation of the payment? If not, who can?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:14:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

When you contacted us to check on your payment, a referral will have been sent to our banking department to trace your payment, and allocate it to where it should have been sent. This can take time, but when your payment is allocated, the interest charges should be updated automatically. If you would like to  confirm our progress without calling our helpline, you can contact us by webchat.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:03:06 GMT by comoptrol
OK will try webchat. Have had notification this morning that I am also being charged penalties for late payment of tax, so that is an additional worry for me.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:13:11 GMT by comoptrol
OK, have tried webchat but I cannot get past the first question as I cannot parse my question in such a way that your system recognises it. I tried words 'allocation of payment' and 'payment not showing on my account' but they do not work. Any suggestions?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:29:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi comoptrol,
To check on your payment if not yet allocated you will need to contact HMRC:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
There will be the option to webchat if you click on the ask HMRC online link.
If an adviser is available you will be connected to chat.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:17:10 GMT by comoptrol
Thanks for this - the payment has not been allocated. No further progress online however as the only message I get from the webchat is... Our advisers are not available to discuss your query at the moment. This is wasting so much of my time, trying to get through to HMRC, and as you can see I am trying. I have written to HMRC but past experience tells me that this will take months to get any response. In the meantime I have received a letter telling me where to get debt advice and threatening to pass me to a debt collection agency. Quite harsh when I paid in full 3 months ago and HMRC system wrongly allocated my payment!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.