Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 04 Mar 2023 12:35:32 GMT by Ayushi Srivastava
Hello,  I just started my first job in London. I need to apply for UTR but I am not sure what address proof and address should I add to my profile. I am Indian and not a permanent resident of the UK. rest I am using Tax2u and I need to attach Income and expense documents. I just started I didn't earn anything and no expenses incurred yet through my earned income. My father has been support me financially till now. Please Advice.
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:08:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can register for self assessment here:

Register for Self Assessment

A UTR number will be posted to you. You shuld use an address that you can receive correspondence at, you can always change your address at a later date.    

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:23:56 GMT by Adarsh Singh
I have received a penalty notice for not filing self assessment ended 5 April 2022.I came to UK for the first time in Feb 2022 and only got income from my salary.I am very much confused now why I have received this notice as I haven't earned a penny from any other source.
Posted Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:12:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Adarsh Singh,

If you are unsure why we have asked you to complete a Self Assessment tax return you will need to contact our Self Assessment helpline.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:16:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John Smith,

You cannot put in more than you earn. as a non taxpayer the maximum allowed is £2880 per year.

As relief is given in the year the payment is made, you cannot benefit from previous years limits. further guidance is here:

Tax on your private pension contributions

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:15:10 GMT by Alexander Hockenhull
As with others, I have found it impossible to reach hmrc by phone. I never completed my registration for self assessment, choosing to remain in full time employment, despite this I have been allocated a UTR number in my online tax account, I didn't think this was an issue until I have received a £100 penalty for late filing a return for 2021/2022. I have nothing to file. I have now filled in an online form to be removed retroactively from SA for this period but wanting to confirm that this penalty will be dropped once this process is completed. Advice in the form of a response here would be appreciated as it is impossible to reach the self assessment team by phone.
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 17:31:33 GMT by Matthew Smith
I have never been self employed but have charges and penalties totalling nearly 3500. Cannot get through on the phone, what am I supposed to do?
Posted Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:57:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alexander Hockenhull,

If you have submitted an appeal after filing the return we will review this and will reply in writing.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 29 Mar 2023 16:10:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Matthew Smith,

You can check the Self Assessment criteria here, and at the end of the tool it will give you an option to submit a form to request removal if you do not meet criteria
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.