Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 03 Jul 2022 13:53:52 GMT by Davide
Good afternoon, My postgraduate loan deductions were expected to start in April 2022 as confirmed by a letter from SLC. However, for some reason, my previous employer started deductions in March 2022. I have now been asked to fill out a self-assessment for 2021/2022: when selecting the option "Did you receive notification from Student Loans Company that repayment of a Postgraduate Loan began before 6 April 2022?" I need now to select "yes" and indicate the deducted payment for March 2022 in the "Student Loan and Postgraduate Loan repayments". However, this now forces the system to recalculate the self-assessment amount due for the postgraduate loan for all the 2021/2022, and the resulting calculation is now greater than my student loan balance (I was also repaying back my student loan with direct contributions as was planning to repay in full in the next months). How can I proceed in this case? Thanks
Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:29:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you submit the return with the deduction, and contact us after 72 hours we can pass you through to our
Student Loans Unit who will be able to review the calculation and adjust accordingly.

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:44:00 GMT by Davide
Thank you for the reply. I yesterday repaid the entirety of my postgraduate loan to SLC via a direct contribution. Do I still need to submit the self-assessment with the March 2022 deduction or can I select "No" to the question "Did you receive notification from Student Loans Company that repayment of a Postgraduate Loan began before 6 April 2022?" so my tax calculation is correct as no more is due to SLC? Thanks
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 07:39:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the entirety of your SLC postgraduate loan has now been paid off, you can indeed answer 'No' to the question. You may wish to add an explanatory note in the 'Any Other Information' box in the main section of your tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.