Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:23:11 GMT by Lisa
I've searched and just can't figure out how to register the Power of Attorney that I have for my Uncle with HMRC for the purposes of completing his self assessment. Can anyone help please?
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:35:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

We would require the original or a certified copy of the power of attorney to be sent to - Paye As You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS, United Kingdom.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:52:26 GMT by Lisa
Thanks for that (although it seems rather bizarre that we can't use the OPG digital codes). Do I also need to send in proof of ID for myself?
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:11:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lisa,

We would not require proof of ID.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 10:53:59 GMT by Kevin Braysher
Same question. Why can't you use the new government service, providing an access code so you can view the LPA ( to use the code). The Pension Service (DWP) do.
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 11:18:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can find further guidance on how to appoint someone to deal with HMRC on your behalf here:

Appoint someone to deal with HMRC on your behalf

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 May 2022 14:54:28 GMT by Kevin Braysher
Thanks. Unfortunately for my purposes the LPA needs to certified (just been on phone to try and claim Blind Person Allowance, without success). So why is it that the DWP accepts the new government service to confirm I am the attorney whereas HMRC doesn't? On an unrelated matter, good that this community exists but there should be a mechanism to alert me that a reply has been posted. Or have I missed that mechanism? (ie not efficient for people to have to keep on checking).
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2022 15:23:15 GMT by Updown10
The government has simplified tbe process of registering an LPA with digital codes so it is ridiculous & unbelievable to hear that a government department (HMRC) won't accept codes. Please could you re-check & confirm that this is indeed correct & give a good reason for HMRC being several years behind the times? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:01:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Updown10
You are correct that you can't register this online with HMRC.
The process is listed on the following link under 'Tell HMRC about the Power of Attorney' :
Appoint someone to deal with HMRC on your behalf
I can't give a reason why as we don't deal with policy here.
Posted Tue, 21 Jun 2022 16:59:20 GMT by JohnH Hare
Can I just post on here to register my astonishment that HMRC do not use the govt's own system of registering an LPA with a digital code from the OPG. Where do I need to write to complain about this? It's utterly ridiculous.
Posted Wed, 22 Jun 2022 13:20:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi JohnH,

You can see further information about complaints here:

Complain about HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:39:15 GMT by pimmy1949
I agree with Updown10 and JohnH Hare that it is utterly ridiculous that HMRC are not using access codes for viewing registered lasting power of attorney. I have one copy that my sister certified, but it was so stressful getting her to do it and for her to physically do it, as she has dementia. Therefore I am not letting it out of my sight! The original copy is with her and she would not be able to send it in, I couldn't ask her to do that as it is beyond her capability now. I am at a distance so cannot collect it from her. What the hell am I supposed to do?
Posted Wed, 29 Jun 2022 10:48:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

Please see the following for the process of advising HMRC about a power of attorney. Our process only accepts the original or a certified copy.

You can find guidance here:

Appoint someone to deal with HMRC on your behalf

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 15:26:14 GMT by MARTIN JACKSON
Hi, I would like to add my bewilderment that the OPG service is not supported by HMRC! However, I will send a copy of the original POA into you. Can I confirm that this is still the process even though my mother has since moved from the residential address stated on the original POA?
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 14:28:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
It is still the process for us to be sent the original or certified copy by post.
It would still be the same document even though there had been a change of address.
Posted Thu, 09 Mar 2023 11:51:20 GMT by williamkenn
Please can you confirm whether you now accept LPA online access codes? Thanks
Posted Fri, 10 Mar 2023 08:59:24 GMT by J P
HMRC don't accept the access codes. They put you to the trouble and expense of sending them the original LPA or a certified copy which they then scan and turn into a digital record and then they return the original to you. So they end up at the same point as if they accepted the access code. A waste of time and (taxpayers) money and utterly pointless and inconvenient for all concerned.
Posted Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:11:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi williamkenn,

We do not yet accept the codes, this is still under review.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Apr 2023 13:20:27 GMT by Colin Stewart
If this is still HMRC policy I would like be able to provide my MP with all the relevant information so that he can escalate it in Westminster. So, can you please tell me where exactly this policy is defined, when it was defined, who defined it and when it was last reviewed? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 12:32:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

HMRC guidance for advising HMRC regarding a Power of Attorney is listed here under 'Tell HMRC about a power of attorney'

Appoint someone to deal with HMRC on your behalf

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.