Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Feb 2022 17:29:15 GMT by Amy Sloan
Hi there, I am really not sure if I am in the right section but, I have a question regarding what is best to do with my current situation. I have been in and out of the country travelling for a few years now, I regularly am in and out of the U.K. And haven't been employed in the UK for years. I have recently been planning setting up my own business, I have some foreign students who want English lessons online. At first the income won't be a lot, but as this will be being paid into my U.K account I want to go about this the right way. Please could you inform me on the first steps of what I should do? I am assuming set it up with HMRC and register as self employed? I am a tad lost so any advice would be much appreciated. Like I said it really won't be a huge amount of money but as it grows I want to make sure I set it up now.
Posted Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:10:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

If you are UK tax resident, or any of the work is carried out in the UK, then you will need to register as self employed.

Please see guidance here :

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test


Set up as a sole trader



You must be signed in to post in this forum.