Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 May 2021 16:29:31 GMT by Liam Kelly
I submitted my 2020/21 self assessment on the 30th April and am awaiting repayment of PAYE income tax in excess of $2k. Online status has shown 'Bank Repayment Pending' for over a week. I submitted all bank payment details as part of the online assessment. Can you please confirm the timelines for online assessment repayment - I have been told there are no additional security check requirements associated with my submission? Thank you Liam
Posted Fri, 14 May 2021 15:16:24 GMT by Liam Kelly
........ and still no response!!!!
Posted Tue, 18 May 2021 10:57:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The timescale for repayments can be 20 working days. If you have not heard by then then you will need to contact the Self Asssessment helpline:
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 22 May 2021 11:09:05 GMT by Rhizanne Cyrus
Hi My accountant submitted my self assessment in July 2020. After months of following up, I received a form in February for additional information which was an R38 form and relevant proof of identification. I contacted HMRC and they confirmed it was received and allow one month for processing. I did that and they then said allow another mont and this has continued where I’ve been told to call back the 28th of the month for an update. I’ve still not received any correspondence or updates and it has now been 10 months I’ve been waiting for my return to be processed.
Posted Mon, 24 May 2021 12:47:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You will need to contact the self assessment helpline to check if there there is any update.  

See the link:

Contact HMRC .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Jul 2021 12:52:55 GMT by Liam Kelly
Update - Was informed by HMRC that I would receive a letter outlining what additional information HMRC would require in order to pass through the additional security checks. Was told this letter would be physically sent out by the 6th June 2021 where as it arrived on the 17th June 2021 - it was sent on the 15th. I collated all the required additional information - bank statement showing bank account details repayment was going to be paid into, Copy of passport photo page, copy of birth certificate, P60 employer 20/21, P60 Pension provider, utility bill within the last 3 months (water) and sent it recorded delivery the very same day, 17th June 2021. The letter was signed for by HMRC early morning on the 21st June 2021. I called for an update on the 28th June 2021 and the HMRC representative could not speak directly with the 'Security department' and said they would call me back within 24hrs - This did not happen I called for an update today, 6th July 2021 and was informed that timesacles had changed and that the Security department would respond to me in writing by the 23rd July 2021. This is DISGUSTING and no taxpayer should be treated in this manner. HMRC has over £2k of MY money in it's coffers as a result of their ineptitude during FY20/21. Taxpayers get penalised for late payment with a fine and with an additional penalty of 2.5% interest on any monies outstanding, HMRC only pay 0.5% on any late payments from them to the taxpayer - where is the fairness in that!!! My case is simple - PAYE employed in receipt of a pension only - no furlough grants payments etc Question 1 - When will I get my money Question 2 - If you can't answer Q1 then what is the average timescale from receipt of information requested to BACS payment being made Question 3 - Please provide the phone number of Mystic Meg if HMRC Admin are unable to answer Question 2. Thank you
Posted Tue, 06 Jul 2021 14:29:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We can't comment on specifics regarding your position as we are unable to view your record from this forum.

If you are quering the progress of your repayment this can only be given by our Self Assessment department unless you have received correspondence from another department.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Jul 2021 16:20:45 GMT by Liam Kelly
Thank you for your enlightening response, very much appreciated. I know you can't provide a detailed response to a specific case so hence the context of question 2 - .........what is the average timescale from receipt of information requested to BACS payment being made? A simple, timely and accurate response to this must surely be easily obtained within HMRC - you have the data readily available: A = Date of Additional Security Information Received - B = Date repayment money transferred via BACS payment into taxpayers bank account - C = Number of days or weeks between A and B The self assessment department were unable to provide this information as they appear to be only capable of providing a scripted response to any posed questions. I hope your next response will be more informative - UK taxpayers should not be treated in this manner, especially when they are owed monies.
Posted Wed, 07 Jul 2021 12:38:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

If you sent the information we requested on 17th June we would expect the information to be reviewed within 4 weeks. The repayment would be received within 10 working days of your letter being reviewed if we have no further queries.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Jul 2021 14:14:56 GMT by Liam Kelly
Thank you, at least this gives me a timescale so that expectations can be managed. Based on your response, I would expect, all going to plan, that monies will be in my account by the 30th July 2021. This would then be a timescale of 13 full weeks from submission of the online self assessment to repayment being received into my bank account. I would recommend HMRC update their published timelines as this is what upsets people the most when they are not achieved and no tangible information is forthcoming from calles etc - If I knew it was going to be 3 months from the start then it wouldn't have been an issue. Again, thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Jul 2021 08:34:32 GMT by sandraS1988 Silka
Hi as My penalties been cancelled HMRC told they will repay penalties money either to the bank account which I paid them or will put credit on SA account. I just requested it not to be by cheque and they confirmed it will not be done. Now I see it’s cheque pending on my account. How can I cancel it and repay in my bank account or credit in SA as I could do repayment myself. What will be a procedure? Thanks
Posted Thu, 08 Jul 2021 14:45:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

You will need to contact our Self Assessment department directly:

Thank you
Posted Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:12:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Ailsa

Pending would usually mean it is being processed or going through checks, available for repayment would normally suggest a repayment hasn't been generated yet.

You would need to contact our Self Assessment department to get some clarification :

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Tue, 24 Aug 2021 13:41:30 GMT by Ailsa Suttie
Thanks for the response but it actually says the the money is available for repayment / what does the mean. Apart from the obvious as I’ve had no communication and I clearly haven’t been repaid. Many thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:54:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Ailsa

Normally that means a repayment hasn't been created from the credit the tax return has made on the record.

Without seeing your record I can't be sure why that is especially if you have already requested the repayment.

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Thu, 26 Aug 2021 22:27:34 GMT by Liam Kelly
Dear All, I started this thread 4 months ago and can confirm that I have now received payment into my account. The whole process from the initial submission of the SA to the submission of required security info to BACS payment into my account was a full 4 months - do not expect the process to be any shorter if you are selected for security checks. The security check process alone takes a minimum of 8 weeks. From my perspective the HMRC staff have on the whole been very helpful, but their hands are tied due to being under resourced and over stretched by higher demand. Plan on a minimum of 4 months for payment to be made, any earlier is a bonus.
Posted Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:18:34 GMT by Mat Beaird
Hi, Liam I’m in the same position you were in submitted my tax return on the 6th April, it went to security checks, I filled out all the forms and documents sent them back, and it says my form is processing on my hmrc account, been like that since July, do you have any idea for time frames, ie how long did yours take from being on the processing stage? Thanks 
Posted Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:45:57 GMT by Alex Weefs
Still waiting for repayment and have had numerous calls with HMRC staff all of which have resulted in no real updates and no progress. Apparantly my repayment is with security but nobody, not even God can access the security department for information. The 'Bank Repayment Pending' status has now also disappeared from my online account. Was told a letter was sent, and I confirmed the actual meaning of 'sent' i.e. physically posted etc on the 6th June and it would contain information on any further information I had to provide. Needless to say no such letter has arrived, what a shock, and this information can only be conveyed via post and not email - archaic... or the synic in me is erring on the side of it's all lies in order to cover up for unacceptable delays. I have spoken to some very pleasant HMRC staff who I feel sorry for as they are having to regurgitate the same old tripe, which they don't believe in themselves. I want MY money which is owed to me due to the continual errors made by HMRC during TY 20/21. Q1 - When will I get my money? Likely response 'We can't comment on individual cases so please call our self assessment team on blah blah blah' Q2 - Do HMRC pay fines / compensation when they go beyong their deadlines? Q3 - Who else is there to compain to when you've already complained to the HMRC Complaints team about very poor HMRC performance? Thank you One very unsatisfied tax 'over'payer 

[Link removed - Admin]
Posted Mon, 16 May 2022 21:48:38 GMT by Sazid Mohmed
Hi i have sent DOT and form 17 on 30th April 2022, when do i expect hmrc to respod? Thank you
Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 10:37:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sazid Mohmed,

We cannot comment on specific enquiries relating to your tax records.  
Please contact your tax office for an update on your form 17.  
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.