Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:19:33 GMT by TJS1V
I'm having an extremely bad experience using this service and need help to get my overpaid tax back - but who can help?! I have filled out my tax return and have overpaid a large amount of tax (which is standard for me) which I need returning. However, I was never asked for any of the information in the 'Finishing your Tax Return' section of the form (title only relevant when printed - a huge signposting issue and terrible user experience!). I can only see I wasn't asked for it (and therefore haven't filled it in) when I choose the (difficult to find) option to print the form, where I can see 'not entered' for that whole section, which I assume is what I need to fill out to get my money back. I have spent hours going round and round the site being sent back to where I started - there is no way I can access this section of the form. I have also tried calling a number of times - the phone system simply takes you down a rabbit hole and hangs up on you. And the 'webchat' mentioned is a bot that only offers irrelevant options or says 'all our advisors are busy at the moment'. I keep getting asked to fill out surveys but I refuse to spend more time on this site if it doesn't directly involve getting my money back. As you can imagine, I do have a lot of feedback! Has anyone experienced this and how do I speak to an advisor?!
Posted Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:44:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi TJS1V,

If the section for entering your bank details is not available, you need to submit the tax return and log back in after 48 hours to request the repayment.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 May 2022 15:02:40 GMT by GerganaID
I have the same problem! I did all the steps, it’s not my first time to submit a return and was unpleasantly surprised when I found out that HMRC has decided to change their policy about refunding peoples’ overpaid taxes. After the 72hs you’re able to claim your repayment but if you are not a UK passport holder or don’t have Northern Ireland driving license, you won’t be able to verify your identity! Why is then this submission receipt?And you will have to start ringing phone numbers where you are told that all advisers are very busy at the moment. I don’t understand why it has to be so complicated, time consuming and stressful. Do people has to pay tax advisers for such elementary thing as filing the tax return so they could receive easier their money? The times are difficult enough, isn’t it?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.