Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 29 Jan 2022 01:34:19 GMT by ConfusionAndChaos
I have an occupational pension and am a lower rate payer although I file self-assessment forms - a legacy from 3 years ago when I was employed and had company benefits. I haven't got around to asking HMRC to remove self assessment. HMRC's Student Loans Manual section CSLM17055 states that pension is not considered income for student loan repayment (type 2 loan). However this year my pension is being counted as income in the online self-assessment calculation. Why is this, and is there a remedy? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:58:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 24
Hi,

If this is being charged in error you can contact our helpline 72 hours after submission.

We can pass you to our Student Loans Unit who can view the calculation and make any amendments necessary.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:28:56 GMT by Neil McGonagle
I am in a similar position as poster. I was paying PAYE whilst in employment and also receiving a Occupational pension all being taxed at lower rate. However because I needed to do a self assessment for a small amount earned self employed HMRC used my Occupational pension as income pushing over the Student Loan threshold for payments. I have been in touch with SLC and with HMRC however HMRC state that unfortunately because I submit a SA all of my income is treated as income earned. This seems very unfair differentiating simply because yo do a SA

You must be signed in to post in this forum.